Decluttering Tips

I would like some suggestions for easy ways to declutter the house?

By jayasree

I started a few years ago buying small plastic baskets and bins. You can get these at Dollar General or Big Lots. Keep all your small stuff which you really in them and put them away when not in use. A good place to start is to go through everything and toss, or give away everything you haven't used in the past year. I keep my sewing supplies in plastic bins and decorative tins. In my kitchen I have even progressed to the place where I have a pasta basket for when I find it on special.

Check out The Fly Lady web site. Many people swear by her methods.

I have, in the past when my children were home, used the method of Keep, Recycle, and Throw away. I had three boxes and went into each room and put everything that was out of place in one of those boxes. I didn't rethink my first selection as far as the throw away and recycle boxes went. Sometimes I would add to them from the Keep box. Then I'd follow through. Once you rid yourself of things you don't actually want or need it's much easier to keep house.

I put a laundry basket in each room of our house, yes even the kitchen, and once a day go through and pick up, at the end of the day everything is sorted and put away. Not sure if you have kids, but we have 2 boys in the same room and a tall laundry basket for each boy in their room. The rule is if laundry is not in there then it does not get washed. Really works. Hope this helps