DessertsBaking & Desserts

Recipes Using Piloncillo

What can I make with sugar, softened piloncillo, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract?

By Seamus from San Antonio, TX

According to Google, Piloncillo is Mexican brown sugar. If you Google Piloncillo recipes you will come up with a number of them... next time I visit Texas I will get some for myself and try some recipes.... Anita from Montclair, NJ

I found this recipe online. I personally have not used recipe nor am I familiar with piloncillo but here is what I found:

PiloncillaPralines

1-1/2 C sugar

8 to 9 oz. piloncillo, softened & chopped

1/2 C + 2 Tbsp. whole milk

6 Tbsp. butter

1-1/2 C pecan pieces, toasted

1/2 tsp ground canela (cinnamon)

2 tsp vanilla extract

Grease a 24" sheet of wax paper. Set it on several thickness of newspaper.

Combine all ingredient except the vanilla extract in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil slowly so that the piloncillo melts and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 238°F.

Add vanilla extract, remove the pan from the heat, and continue stirring as the candy cools. When the mixture becomes creamy and cloudy, and the pecans remain suspended while stirring, spoon the mixture onto the wax paper. You can make pralines of any size. Work quickly, before the candy hardens in the pan. The pralines set as they cool.

These are best the day they are made, but they will keep for several days if tightly covered. Use leftover pralines by crumbling them over ice cream. You can also pour the praline mixture into a pan and cut it like fudge.

http://www.gour … /piloncillo.aspx

Try RecipeZaar.com, you type in Search by ingredients, and then you'll get recipes for what you have.