Dog Is Itchy After Being Groomed

I adopted a Shih Tzu and her fur was very matted so I took her to the groomer's. They had to shave some parts close to her skin due to the fact that she was so full of knots in her fur. Later when I brought her home she kept licking her private spot and her paws and sometimes she rubs her butt on the rug. She never did that before she got groomed. Any answers? Thanks.

By katsmeow5256 from Macedon, NY

Best Answer

She could be allergic to something in the shampoo they used. Try giving her a bath with a hypoallergenic shampoo.

Best Answer

Sometimes the groomers need to hurry and finish a job b/c of time constraints and don't cool the clippers down as often as they should.

This is called "clipper burn" and is usually the source of the itching. Private parts are usually shaved as well as the rest of the dog and it's possible that she got burned. Some groomers touch the blade to their wrist after using them for a while to check for the temp to prevent the burn. {just as you would check the temp of baby formula}

You can try using witch hazel on a cotton ball and dab the areas as well as just googling clipper burn on a dog and see what others recommend to use.

She might also be dragging her butt on the carpet b/c they cleaned her anal glands and were not too gentle, it is a very tender area and many groomers have been taught by other groomers to do this and it is not done correctly. I am NOT saying that the groomer did this but you should check with the shop and find out if they clean the glands. I think it is best if a vet does it & teaches you how instead.

It is also possible that she got clipper burned on her tushie and it is a way of scratching it!

Could be a coincidence. Have you wormed her and had her anal glands checked - they could be impacted.

If you were satisfied with the groomers overall, ask them to use a different shampoo next time. Johnson's Baby Shampoo is mild and hypo-allergenic. If you and your Shih Tzu didn't like the groomers, sounds like it's time for different groomers.

Hi, I have the same thing happen with my two adopted poodles. I even bought special shampoo for the dogs. I take warm clean cloth and gently rub it all over the dogs. Continue to do this, especially on their face and paws.

When they are clipped close, it burns for a couple days.

Tell your groomer NOT to use ANY shampoo or conditioner with perfume in it..use all natural shampoos. You could also make a very mild solution of teaspoon of baking soda to a quart of warm water and wipe her down with that.

Hope this helps.

Dorie, Algoma, WI

A got having it's hair cut by a groomer.
Dog Is Itchy After Being Groomed
Pets Dogs GroomingSeptember 14, 2009
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Homemade Cuticle Softeners
Homemade Cuticle Softeners
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
🎉
🎄