Change Clothes in Dryer Before It Stops

When doing laundry, remove clothing from the dryer before it stops on its own, and put the next load in. This way, the dryer doesn't cool down and then have to heat up again for each load. The clothes are dry by then, and if you get them folded right away, you won't need to worry about wrinkles.

By Mary from Hummelstown, PA

I understand that the last 10 mins. of the dryer cycle is a cool down cycle so wrinkles don't set.

I have gone down 10 minutes after the dryer is done and it is still warm. Still better than a cold dryer.

I always have my dryer on the "delicate" heat setting. I take out my laundry immediately and most things are dry. Whatever is not I hang on hangers spaced well apart. After this I put in my next load, to make use of the warm dryer. This is a good alternative for my family, we all have allergies and are unable to "line-dry" outside.

Great idea.

Another variation on this: If you have two loads to dry and you know that you're going to need two drying cycles for your clothes, take out the items during the first cycle which are going to dry out faster. Combine the remaining clothes from the two loads into one load to save a buck in quarters right there.

My mom and dad were having problems with their dryer not working right. My mom would always stop the dryer to take out clothes before the cycle was done. The repairman said that doing that shortens the life of your dryer since it's not getting to run it's full cycle. So I never stop the dryer until it stops on its own.

Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyJanuary 27, 2009
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
clothes dryer
Dryer Isn't Drying Clothes