I have a dog and I need to know if mothballs are harmful to pets.
By Annette from Spartanburg, SC
Moth balls are not actually used to kill moths, but rather contain a substance which is used to repel moths from your closets. Either naphthalene or para dichlorobenzene, can be used in moth balls, and both substances are toxic. This chemical tends to change it's state from a solid to a gas form very quickly. If inhaled it can be fatal, and if ingested moth balls are extremely harmful.
Do not induce vomiting if ingested - rather drink plenty of water and consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. Moth balls can cause hemolytic anemia, a decrease in red blood cells, or the amount of hemoglobin the body produces. This can inhibit the blood from supplying the required amounts of oxygen to the body. Symptoms can include: weakness, lethargy, increased heart and respiration rate, pale mucous membranes, jaundice, vomiting and abdominal pain. Urine may also contain traces of blood. Hope this helps and everything is okay!
Yes! Mothballs can be deadly to 'any' animal and to humans, especially children, as well!
Yes mothballs are potentially very harmful to pets and you, too. If you are having trouble with moths, try cedar in some form. You can buy cedar balls, small planks or oil to hang into your closet. It smells a whole lot better than mothballs too.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!