Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Can someone tell me how to make peanut butter roll?

By Angie

By Charlene S.12/04/2013

My grandmother always did the recipe with 1 medium potato, 1 stick of butter (room temp.), pinch of salt, 1 tsp. vanilla & add powder sugar till forms dough. Roll out on powdered sugar sprinkled board covered with wax paper. Spread with peanut butter (add coconut & chopped nuts if you want) & roll tightly. Makes 2-3 rolls. Refrigerate & slice into pieces. Nothing new to add for the recipe.. just a FYI

Use cotton string to cut logs into slices. This prevents breakage or misshapen pieces.

By pdprice12/22/2010

My mom used butterscotch pudding, butter and powdered sugar to make the "dough," Then rolled it out spread it with peanut butter, cut it into 3 x 5 " squares, rolled them, refrigerated them and sliced them. Delicious!

By Deana Langston12/07/2010

I used to make mine with a potato but now I just use one jar of whipped cake icing and add powdered sugar to make a dough. Roll it out add peanut butter, roll it up and slice. I can't tell the difference in taste and it fooled my whole family. Very easy!

By cgrits10/15/2010

If you still need the recipe, a good one is a stick of softened butter and about a pd of powdered sugar, mix the two together and add 1-2 tablespoons of milk till it is a spreadable consistency. spread out to into a rectangle about 1/4" thick on a piece of wax paper dusted with powdered sugar and spread with creamy peanut butter, leave about a 1/2" thick border around the peanut butter. start to roll using the wax paper as a guide and then refrigerate. When a little harder slice and enjoy.

By Kathy Burdette08/17/2010

The recipe I have uses a small potato. Peel, cube and cover with water. Cook until tender, pour off water and put in a bowl. Mash and then start adding powdered sugar. Continue to stir and add powered sugar until you have a dough that your are able to roll out. Roll it out thin and spread with peanut butter. Roll it up jelly roll style and cut in 1/2 inch slices. You can use food coloring to color the dough if you want.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Does anyone have a peanut butter roll candy recipe to share? I think it is made with confectioners sugar and milk, then rolled out and peanut butter spread on top. Roll and then cut into slices.

Thanks,
Joyce from Williamsburg, KY

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

We called this candy potato candy. My mother always used a few left over mashed potatoes as the base and added 1 Tsp. vanilla, 10X sugar, 1T. butter and a little sprinkling of salt. Just use a small amount of potatoes, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Keep adding 10X sugar until it thickens enough to roll out. Put some 10X sugar on the surface to roll the dough out. Roll out and spread with peanut butter, then roll up jelly roll style. I then place it on a platter and cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate till cool and set. Then it can be sliced into whatever width slice you like. We love this and make it every year at Christmas time. (01/20/2006)

By Juanita

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Peanut Butter Pinwheels
  • powdered sugar
  • water
  • peanut butter

Make a dough with the powdered sugar (you don't need to add much liquid), dust the surface with some powdered sugar and roll out the dough like you would for sugar cookie cut outs. Spread with peanut butter. Roll and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Keep these covered or they will dry out. (01/20/2006)

By Reece71

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Here's the recipe you have been looking for. I make it all the time for my hubby.
  • 1-1lb bag of confectioners sugar
  • 1 15oz. jar of peanut butter (your choice plain or crunchy)
  • enough evaporated milk to make sugar into a dough
  • 1 egg white

Mix milk, egg white, and sugar together to form a dough. Roll out on clean surface that has been sprinkled with confectioners sugar or flour. Roll out until it s about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the peanut butter on the dough and roll up. Cut into slices and refrigerate for about an hour. Enjoy! (01/21/2006)

By Leila

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

• one medium potato
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1 bag of confectioners sugar
  • wax paper

Directions:

Boil potato and drain water off. In a bowl mash the potato and butter together. Pour in confectioners sugar and mix good with hand. Wash hand and dry. Get a sheet of wax paper. Put the mixture on the paper, make sure you don't get the mixture off the paper. Spread mixture out. Put on a cookie sheet and cool in the refrigerator.

Take out of the refrigerator and spread the peanut butter over the mixture. Start at one end of the wax paper and begin to roll mixture until you have rolled all of the mixture into a roll. Put back in the frig and let chill. Take roll out and pull back the wax paper and cut into pinwheels. Place in a covered container and leave out or put in frig. It does not get hard. Good luck and don't make a mess. (10/18/2006)

By BUDDY

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Here's our old family recipe for peanut butter roll:
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup white syrup (Karo)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • dash of salt
  • 3 egg whites
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff and set aside. Boil sugar, water, syrup, and salt until it strings from spoon. Beat mixture into egg whites. Turn out into a flat surface covered with sifted powdered sugar and knead until like dough. Roll out and cover with peanut butter. Roll up and let cool completely. After cooled, slice into pieces. Hope this is what you were looking for. (12/04/2006)

By Vivian from Williamsburg, KY

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

I make this every year for Christmas.
  • 1 lb. of confectioners sugar (have extra on hand in case you put too much milk)
  • 2 tablespoons of margarine
  • sprinkle of milk
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • cup of peanut butter

Add 1 lb. of sugar and margarine together then add your vanilla and add milk slowly a little at a time til it forms a ball. Sprinkle confectioners sugar on some wax paper and roll out dough. Spread peanut butter on it and cut in half. Take clean knife and slide it under one half and roll into log. Then do the same on the other half. Refrigerate. I usually leave in fridge about 2 hours. Then slice into pieces. Everyone loves it here. Hope it is what you all are looking for. (11/04/2008)

By Vickie

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

The recipe I have was given to me by my friend's grandmother. This is a Harlan County, Kentucky recipe. It is an old fashion recipe, and takes a little time, but is absolutely worth it.

Old Fashion Peanut Butter Roll

• 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

First beat 3 egg whites until stiff. Prepare the surface to roll out the candy. Cover the surface with wax paper and spread a thick layer of powdered sugar.

Next mix all ingredients except vanilla in a large pot and boil. Stirring continuously, until ball forms. (Like when making fudge or candies) the ball should be hard and have a soft crack. Add vanilla.

Slowly pour the mixture over the egg whites while mixing with a blender the whole time. Continue to mix until the candy has cooled and resembles the texture of marshmallow cream. Pour onto powdered sugar and roll thin. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter. Roll up and cut. (cut the pieces using a piece of thread to keep it's form and layers). (11/23/2008)

By Heather

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Another one from Kentucky. I got this from a co-worker and it has cream cheese and you can't go wrong with that.
  • 4tbs peanut butter
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 2lbs powder sugar
  • 1 cup peanut butter (or more if you like, but the more you use the more it will ooze out)

Just mix together and then roll out the dough onto wax or parchment paper. You may need to cut into 2 rolls. Spread peanut butter to desired amount and then roll. Refrigerate for at least an hour for it to set, but not too stiff for easy cutting. (12/21/2008)

By Debbie from Lexington KY

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

I use a variation of Vivian's recipe. Using vanilla icing from the grocery store eliminates the cooking portion of that recipe. Empty tub of vanilla icing in mixing bowl. Begin working in confectioners sugar until the icing is no longer sticky and you can begin to knead it. Dust rolling surface with powdered sugar and roll to desired thickness. Spread with peanut butter and roll into log. Place log onto platter and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Cut to desired thickness and enjoy! I love this candy, but I hated the cooking and boiling and working with the hot liquid. This recipe leaves the homemade goodness intact, but eliminates the rest. (12/08/2009)

By ShaunaW

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

I am from Pennsylvania the coal region. I believe you want the recipe for Flitch Candy. Type in flitch candy and the site will come up. It is coal region recipes. (12/10/2009)

By birch72

RE: Peanut Butter Roll Candy

Peanut butter roll has been in our family since my grandmother owned a restaurant in Kentucky back in the 30s. My mother still makes it for Christmas to the delight of her great grandchildren. It is not potato candy; it is made by boiling Karo light corn syrup and was originally one of their recipes from the wrapper around the bottle. My grandmother added red food color to make it pink it was and is a delightful albeit difficult recipe for the novice. (06/14/2010)

By cjoy9