Otis (Horse)

Everyday Life in Steinhatchee, FL. Although there aren't as many horses there now as there used to be, you will still see quite a few. There is no place in the little town that horses and their riders aren't welcomed. It's almost as common to see a horse walking down the side of a little road as it is to see a car driving on the road.

The young people especially like to ride their horses everywhere. They can since they're too young to drive a car anyway. The family just behind my daughter and SIL's home have 5 horses, and our daughter is thinking strongly about getting one again.

During the Fiddler Crab Festival days, you'll see more horses than usual. They'll be all decked out just as fancy as some of the riders, but you'll also see the kids in blue jeans with their horses just walking around as well.

This horse's name is Otis. He is 10 years old and a real cuddle bunny. He is lovingly cared for and cherished by his family. Look at his coat and his mane and tail. They are brushed more than once a day, I'd say, and the shiny coat speaks a lot for the healthy food he eats.

He has the most gentle and loving eyes I've ever seen, and is so obviously a happy horse. He loves people and other animals. Here, you'll see Otis coming to say "Good Morning" to our granddoggie Sadie Belle, who is just fine with Otis as long as our daughter isn't riding him. Sadie doesn't think her mama should be that close to anybody or any other animal. That's her Mama, and she is jealous.

Otis has been a great work horse, and can do many things around a farm, but his favorite chore is to go off visiting with one of the kids riding him. Just walking and plunking along, stopping here and there and standing quietly just waiting for the apples and carrots that's sure to be given him wherever they stop to visit. He's so good with children, and often, even the little kids get a quick ride around the yard.

By Pookarina

The horse sure does look healthy and happy. We have a boxer too and they are wonderful babies. This makes me want a horse again too. I will have to see where Steinhatchee is exactly. It sounds like a very nice small town.

That is a nice picture and I think it's sweet that the horse came to say Hello to your grand dog. That horse surely does look well fed too. I would like to live somewhere my kids would be seeing things like this. It sounds very peaceful.

Thank you Pookarina.

I'd never heard of Steinhatchee, so looked it up on the map. Sure is off the beaten path, so no wonder you can have all that great freedom. If things keep going the way they're going, we'll all be hunting somewhere like that just so we could have a little garden and raise some chickens or maybe a cow.

We might end up the way we started if something doesn't change pretty quick. It won't be all bad either. From the sound of your letter, it sounds like a good place to be. I could sure use some of the peace and quiet for a change.

Love the picture. Thanks for sharing with us.

That is one fine looking horse and your granddog is nice too. They both look like healthy nice animals. My grandparents had horses and I was allowed to feed and help take care of them in exchange for riding a few of them. There was one mare that loved kids better than she did adults, and she was my favorite. We could ride her bareback even and she acted like she enjoyed us as much as we did her. Don't ever let anyone tell you that horses aren't smart. It just takes the right person working with them. and they can be taught to do all sorts of things. As much as I love my dog and 2 cats, I'd have a horse too if we had room.

Thank you for sharing their picture. Sure brings back great memories for me. I love the way you write about things too Pookarina.

That is so nice. Our dog would have a fit if he saw a horse unless it was on the television. I'm sure he's never seen a real live one. Your dog seems as much at home with the horse as he would another dog. A really nice photo too.

It's always nice to see the interaction between our various animals, and dogs and horses have always seemed especially compatible. My grandparents had a dog who would sit on the horse for as long as they'd let him stay up there. The horse never seemed to mind, and the dog was so comfortable I think he'd have slept on that horse if they'd let him.

The dog lived in the barn, and spent a lot of time in the stall sleeping on the hay as close to the horse as he could get. I never thought to get the story from my grandparents how it came to be they were such good buddies, but I wish that I had. I'm sure there had to be a story there.

Thank you for sharing the photo. The horse and your granddog look to be about the same exact color. Both are very nice.

Photos Pets OtherAugust 2, 2010
Velveteen Blanket
Cleaning a Velveteen Horse Blanket
Horse Eating from Feed Bag
Saving Money on Horse Feed
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Rocking Horse
Recycled Rocking Horse Craft Ideas