Organizing Art Supplies and Materials

Keeping your art supplies organized helps avoid buying things you already have. It also saves you time and allows you to spend more time being creative. This is a guide about organizing art supplies and materials.

January 11, 2008 Flag

STORING PAPER

I use two types of containers to hold my fancy paper. I like those stacking plastic "drawers" from the office supply store. They are made just the right size to hold reams of paper and I wait until they go on sale for half off (for about $15-$20). These, I use to hold my Large packs of paper.

For single sheets, I bought a file cabinet from the craft store. The file folders for it are so cheap! Only about $3 for 50 at Office Depot and they also sell the "rails" to hold the folders on too! (under $5). I "File" my paper under categories like Card stock, Pastel, Parchment, or under colors like Reds, Blues, Greens, or patterns like Flowers, Plaids, Poka-Dots, Animals, etc.

LARGER CRAFT SUPPLIES

I use plastic "dish pans" from the dollar store and I label them, then put them on shelves I've hung on my walls. I also like those Clear "Shoe Boxes" from the dollar store for smaller items like crochet hooks, glue, pens, embossing power, etc.

I've also hung a "PEG BOARD" in my crafting room for tools, tape, wire, my heat gun and lots of other things. I can see them, so I can find them easily!

RIBBON SPOOLS

If the spool has big holes, take an empty paper towel holder (or better yet for more spools take an empty cardboard Christmas wrap roll), then through the middle thread a piece of ribbon, twine or yarn. Then hang this from a shelf or hook each yarn-end to the wall with an eye screw. Thread your ribbon spools on to the empty cardboard paper towel holder.

If the ribbon has tiny holes in the spools, then just thread a piece of ribbon or yarn through each spool Then tie these to a shelf or wall. (A thin dowel threaded through the ribbon spools works even better!)

BEADS

I use those tiny little drawers that are used for screws. Not the ones with "snap-on lids" just those tiny plastic drawers. These can be set on a table, shelf or hung on the wall.

December 7, 2007 Flag

Full pieces of construction paper can be stored in file folders or in those magazine storage boxes. You can also spray paint cereal boxes to put your paper in. I use baskets and candy tins of different sizes. Zipper freezer bags are great and I have just recently discovered the new Folger's coffee cans (all because DH got mad at Kroger's, bless him). They are plastic with a peel off seal so you don't have to worry about can opener cuts. When I empty one I just put it in the dishwasher and store it on a high shelf till I need it.

Organizing MiscellaneousJuly 20, 2011
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
Various art supplies in a pile.
Organizing Kids Art Supplies
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
Cross Stitch Supplies
Organizing Cross Stitch Supplies
🎄