Growing Plants in Gravelly Soil

By vickie guy 42 101

I hardly have any topsoil on my property. It is mostly gravel underneath. What can I grow?

By Vguy from Earle, AR

Showing: Answers Sort

By Duane De Vries 1 59 Flag

Rather than trying to grow things is terrible 'soil', you would be much better off looking into 'New Square Foot Gardening', also known as raised bed gardening. In the square foot method, you make 4-ft square frames out of untreated 2 x 6 lumber and fill this with your growing medium. The book of the same title explains all of this. Check out a copy from the library or buy a copy for around $10 online... shop around. Be sure it is the 'NEW' Square foot gardening book. I am just someone using this method and I'm very happy with it. I don't know the author and have no business relation with him.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

I agree with Duanedv or dig holes with hold diggers to plant flowers & etc. You can also make raised beds with bricks or cement blocks, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr436488 Flag

Gravelly soil is like a viscous cycle, it drains well, but it doesn't hold moisture long, so plants have to be watered more often. 4" to 6" of mulch will help with the moisture problem and will improve the soil as the mulch deteriorates over time. Be sure you keep adding new mulch as the old deteriorates. The link is a list of plants that like gravelly soil. Best of luck.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/basic ... lants-for-sandy-or-gravelly-soil.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

For long term solutions -- compost, compost , compost.

Try looking in the library for books on soil conditioning and composting. You are not the first person who has had to improve awful soil.

If money is not an issue, have good topsoil trucked in. It is a major investment, but worth it in the longterm. I have poor soil under my front lawn and it dries out much faster and doesn't grow as well as the back lawn, which was formerly used as a vegetable garden, and had good topsoil hauled in. Also, you don't have to do the whole yard at once. Make a five year plan, to spread the costs.

Another alternative is to use paths and paving stones, gravel beds, like in a Japanese garden. Then the spaces inbetween can be filled with good topsoil, and you will not need to cover such a large area.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Colleen Stuchal 6 76 Flag

I put in something called Snow on the Mountain. It is a ground cover. It has started to take over my gravel driveway so I'm sure it would work as long as it can be grown in your zone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 28 Flag

I too live in AR where there's nothing but ROCKS! After 4 years of unsuccessfully getting something to grow in the earth here, I'm using 5 gallon buckets and homemade "kinda" raised beds to grow a few things. Our county extension sells compost by the truckload ($6 per load) and the buckets are obtained from a fast food chain that otherwise tosses the buckets in the landfills. I use logs, wood and big stones to enclose my beds (all free) and shop around town for the best deals on plants (including clearance and reduced). My limitations to what I can grow have been greatly reduced by using these things. Here's a pic of the beans I have now. I will follow this post with a pic of my potatoes and tomatoes in buckets. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ronda F 5 1 Flag

There are a lot of plants that thrive in rocky soil, hens and chicks, iris, ornamental grass and coreopsis. There are a ton of plants for rock gardens, and tons of native natural plants love rocky soil. For inspiration and ideas check out your local area for things that grow naturally already.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 28 Flag

Two of my 6 tomato plants have flowers already and the little husky cherry has fruit. To prep the bucket, I made holes along the lower side and bottom for drainage, added a little of my own "compost" material that's mainly leaves and pebbles I've raked up, topped with about 6-8 inches of Miracle Grow (hubby purchased before we found out about soil/compost from county extension), put in the plant and sat on the southside of our home. So far they're doing great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 28 Flag

I've never grown potatoes but thought this method was interesting and wanted to try it. We bought little red potato seed at Lowe's and prepped the buckets. After adding about 4" soil, I added 2 little potatoes to each bucket. Now I think I should have stuck with 1 in each bucket, we will see how it goes. I may end up laying them on their sides and continuing layering the straw on as the green emerges.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 20, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Thermometer Taking Soil Temperature
The Importance of Soil Temperature to Growing Plants
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
Mango Tree
Growing a Mango Tree
Garlic being planted into garden soil mix.
Making Your Own Garden Soil Mix
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:27:21 PM on 10.0.0.71 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings