Protecting Flower Bulbs

What is the best way to protect bulbs from wildlife?

By Eric

I've always heard that voles (not moles, but they might as well) hate pointy rocks. So whenever I plant anything new in my gardens, I mix in a handful or two of gravel from the driveway. We have a gravel called "TRG" and I forget what it stands for. It's pointy, though. Broken seashells would work, too. I haven't had any problems at all- all of my plants came back with vigor this year. Some people say that wrapping them in hardware cloth before planting them will do the trick, too- Just leave a gap at the top for the bulb to sprout from. Also, rubber snakes will freak out any renegade squirrels. Just move them around every day or so. As for deer, I hear that human hair and Irish Spring soap will keep them at bay. Good luck!

Dip the bulbs in talc powder before you plant them. the animals don't like the taste and will try one and then leave the rest alone