Helping A Frozen Rosemary Bush

I just bought a rosemary bush (still in it's original pot) and dumb me left it out and it froze. Well, the leaves are brown now. It still smells wonderful. Now I see 3 or 4 little green shoots coming from the ends of the stems. The thing is pretty much brown all over.

It's now inside and I tried to "thaw it out slowly" by running lukewarm water through the pot real well. Since I'm seeing a few shoots of green now, I don't know whether to cut it back or not. If I do need to cut back, how far. It's already in enough shock already. Can it be saved, I hope and how do I do it?

Also, like I said it still smells wonderful. Even though the plant is brown (from being frozen I suppose), can I still use the leaves and dry them for cooking. I also put them in essential oils and things along that line. Are they safe to use when they are like this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jenny in KY

Jenny, it sounds like your rosemary plant will be okay. I would cut it back. Mine does beautifully in the kitchen until I can set it back out in the spring.

Enjoy your plant!

Northern Virginia

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJanuary 19, 2005
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush