Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Finding Sponsor for Child on Cheer Squad

Does anyone know of any companies or organizations that sponsor cheerleaders? My 14 year old made the cheer squad at a public school, but they are charging parents $2250 per year for my kid to cheer for them. I'm a single mom, and I can't do it alone. Any ideas would help immensely.

By Jacquline from Phoenix, AZ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By mjmcgratm01/27/2014

Some of the answers about sponsors for cheer are crazy! "They shouldn't be charging and I'd tell them so!" Come on people, we're talking about competitive cheer! Competitive cheer is in no way, shape or form related to school! My daughter is a cheerleader and absolutely loves the sport... yep... it's a sport! And it is expensive! Does anyone have ideas for how an individual child can get sponsors? I know the gym does various events to raise money for the gym. I need to find sponsors for just my kid! Any ideas there? Thanks!

By dede smith [17]05/05/2010

Ask your local Chamber of Commerce for a list of Community Support type non-profit groups, and/or businesses that do this type of thing. I am a Jaycee, Junior Chamber Member in MO, and we support kids in their growth efforts all the time.
Rotary Club, Elks, Lions, Women of Today, etc. Your Chamber of Commerce office will have names and numbers.

By Karen Z.05/05/2010

My daughters have done cheerleading for many years and I know how expensive it can be. You can try doing mass mailings to local businesses to solicit sponsors. But sometimes it just takes hard work. Car washes are great and your daughter can help so she knows what irs like to work for her cheerleading. If you are a great asalesperson there are many fundraisers. We only do ones that have a profit of 40% or more. We are lucky in Maryland that we can work concession stands at sporting events. And I make my girls work to help with the costs!

By Jacquelyn Valentine [11]05/04/2010

When my daughters were in high school, 2 of them were on the dance team at the same time. I didn't work outside the home, so with 4 kids at home, this was a real strain. But my daughters took it on as a challenge and were able to raise the money to pay for the different outfits, shoes, t-shirts, shorts and camps that they attended.

Of course, they had garage sales and bake sales, but they also sold donuts that were delivered to the person's home on several Saturday mornings. The dance team held a dance clinic for younger girls in the community, which charged the kids $5 for a morning of learning a dance together. They performed for the parents at 1 pm and then went home with a ribbon to show for their participation.

They also babysat and had car washes, and they sold BBQ chicken dinners and jambalaya dinners (we're from Louisiana). I know that some would rather donate money, but in this economic climate, many would like to get something for their money.

The dance line sold carnations and a note for $1 each at school and the person buying the carnation could send a note with the carnation to whoever they wanted. It was fun for the whole student body to see who would send them a carnation and a note. The kids made a good bit of money sending these "grams" for the different seasons and holidays of the year.

It can be done, just include your daughter in the planning and set goals. Where there's a will there's a way!

By Joyce Lambert [27]05/04/2010

Have a yard / bake sale. It would be a start.

By Michelle [4]05/04/2010

You could go to your local shire and ask them, they might be able to help you, with a source. I know they do help with fees if you are travelling to footy games as I was.

By Anonymous [848]05/04/2010

Holy Cow! When I was a kid the parents only had to pay for one outfit, poms poms, tennis shoes and socks! What in the world is all the money they're demanding for anyway? :-o

By Lilac [18]05/04/2010

Wait a minute! Isn't cheerleading a sport? Don't they get a letter for it? Then why is the school charging. If they don't charge the football players then they shouldn't charge the cheerleaders and I would tell them so. I would not pay that much money for my daughter to cheerlead. It isn't worth it. Dance lessons are cheaper, music lessons are cheaper and she could have some really nice clothes for far less than that.

By Joan [13]05/04/2010

When my daughters were in school and now my grandchildren, they were taught what we could and couldn't afford to do. That is a good lesson for all kids.

By bkvander [2]05/04/2010

I agree - I would much rather directly sponsor a child I know than be hit with fundraising. You'll be surprise how many people/org's will help if they are only asked! Figure out what you CAN do and ask for the rest. Don't forget your daughter's responsibility in this. If your daughter babysits, maybe some of her clients would donate.

By Lisa [2]05/04/2010

Jacquline -- have you thought about your employer? Or the employers of close relatives (or maybe her dad)? Back before I became a stay at home mom, one of my co-workers had a daughter who played softball. They asked for contributions to support the team, and at some point they gave us certificates, thanking us. I worked in a small doctor's office, and she asked all her co-workers and the boss if they were interested. I had no problem helping out my co-worker's kid, and I preferred to just give some money (maybe $40) rather than buy something from a fundraiser.

Best of luck -- I hope you find the necessary help, and I hope this turns out to be a great experience for you and your daughter!