CuttingHair Tips

Cutting a Toddlers Hair

If a toddler of 21 months has a severe hair cut, ie all his curls, will his new growth of hair be straight or curly? Is it a good thing for toddlers to have their hair cut regularly in order for the hair to become thicker with each new growth? Thank you.

Merle from Auckland, New Zealand

My grandmother always told me its bad luck to cut a child's hair, except for bangs before they are 3. The old wives tale was their hair would be thin, if cut too soon.

Hair is dead, so it doesn't know if it's being cut or not. In other words, cutting a baby's hair won't change how it is going to grow. If it's going to be curly, thin, thick, straight, etc, it will grow that way no matter whether you cut it or not.

I agree with Katie A. Cutting hair has no effect on its curliness or thickness. But a good haircut can certainly improve the look of any kind of hair!!! If you know nothing about cutting hair, take the kid to a stylist or a barber who has experience with little kids. My Mother in law used to cut my sons' hair, but she knew what she was doing.

Anonymous

Hair texture, curl/no curl and thickness are genetic and change with age and are affected throughout life due to health, chemicals (pills, shots, sad stuff like chemo and radiation, probably food preservatives) and hormonal changes. Haircuts simply have nothing to do with these changes. It's a wives tale that cutting hair is the culprit of the changes just like the one often told that shaving legs will make the hair grow thicker on the legs.

A baby might be born with blond, curly hair but by the time they are five their hair could be dark and straight. The next change often comes at puberty and then again at menopause.

I was a hairstylist for thirty years and saw these changes many times with my regular clients over the years. For myself, I looked almost bald until I was three, after that I had thin, straight hair until my teens and the amount of hair thickened and once I approached menopause my hair became curly.

Take a photo of your baby before the haircut and keep those precious little cut locks for keepsakes in an envelope with the photo :-) Enjoy the experience because it's an awesome life passage :-)

Unless he has naturally curly hair (that usually means one of his parents also has curly hair) Those baby fine curls will probably be gone when you cut them off. It does not matter how often you cut his hair. It will thicken as he grows up.