Free Rice Vocabulary Builder Website

Here is a fun site that is educational AND donates money to the United Nations World Food Program. It runs you through words and definitions. For each word you define correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated. The words get harder until it finds your vocabulary level. Good for anyone that would like to improve your language skills and WAY more fun than reading the dictionary.

Jess in Oregon

this was a lot of fun- I earned 2000 grains and my rating is 40- I'm quite impressed.LOL

this is a GREAT site ! THANKS ! I passed it on inn several directions ! -- I donated a thousand grains of rice so far ! A great way to challenge yourself - have fun - do something worthwhile & actually make a small difference !

Great fun and for a good cause!

Thanks for the link...I was able to donate 300 grains of rice in less than 5 minutes!

While a good website, many of the words that freerice "tests" have the wrong definition. For example, Debauchery does not mean dissipation.

here is the official definition of debauchery:

and dissipation:

The words are far too easy. I managed to make it to 50 in my second try on the site; then, today, I earned 20,000 grains for free rice because I was "stuck" on 50. If I wanted to make it a challenge, I would have to keep missing words.

Can someone suggest a more rigorous list of words to help? As for me, I don't think it is a valuable use of my time anymore but I would love to keep helping by some other word exercise.

To whoever is responsible for the words, I would urge that you make them more difficult. I made it to 50 by my second try, and was "stuck" on 50 today. I managed to donate 20,000 grains, so that is something I enjoyed, but the words were so simple that all the challenge (and therefore fun) has disappeared.

If someone reading this could increase either the number of levels or difficulty of the words, it would be an even better program....Thanks.

I tried to see what kind of "record" I could set for those who want to be competitive. I got to 50 right away and remained at it, slipping occasionally, sometimes when the program didn't keep up with me. So, I got 10,000 grains in the first 26 minutes. I thought I couldn't possibly do better. But then, in a heroic effort of immense proportions, I managed to donate 10,000 grains in 20 minutes. I don't think I can top that one.. That is 500 words correct in 20 minutes or a word every 2 1/2 seconds.... I think I need to take a break from this...

Dictionary and Notebook
Building Your Vocabulary
Cool LinksNovember 14, 2007
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Boy reading a dictionary.
Expanding a Child's Vocabulary
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business