Removing Rust from Nails and Screws

How do you remove rust from nails and screws? The nails and screws are perfectly good nails they have just been in damp quarters. The coke idea has already been proven to be a hoax so now I am lost as to how to get the rust off, so I need help from all of you guys. How do i get rust off from perfectly good nails and screws?

Donna from TN

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Erica (Guest Post) 05/10/2007

Soak them in wd-40

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By denise w (Guest Post) 05/10/2007

cover them in motor oil and let soak for a while and take them out and wipe them off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Deanj 05/10/2007

Why do you need to remove the rust? They will work just as well as non rusted nails and screws and no one will know they were rusted except you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lynda (Guest Post) 06/15/2007

Rusty nails would need Rust Remover soaking and wiping of each nail. If that's worth it to you, good luck. If not, I'd buy another box and toss those into the garden around yellowed leaves on an evergreen, because they are steel/iron derivative, supposedly.
Rust is iron oxidation from moisture. I would NOT use them in wood or anything I built. Next time, try storing naile in separate glass jars. After a few years of saving you'll have a nice variety and they'll be dry.
Sorry they got moist. Don't be surprised if other things are ruined as well. DAMP RID might help if in the house. Good luck and God bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Rose S. (Guest Post) 07/26/2007

The reason you need to clean rusted screws and nails is because for screws, the "x" shape could be so rusty it breaks. just like what happened to me with my skateboard. i was trying to take out my VERY LAST screw and the inside broke. so i have no way of taking it out. if someone would help that would be great. or else i have to buy a brand new skateboard. and this board has been very faithful so far...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By lilredex (Guest Post) 10/16/2007

Try this tried and true method, "Electrolytic rust removal" described here:

If you can still find LYE in your area, it works even better.......just be careful!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By mecriter (Guest Post) 10/21/2008

To take the broken screw out of skateboard, get a drill and a drill bit (or tap) (smaller that the screw) drill into the screw then reverse, it should pull the screw out with it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Adam (Guest Post) 10/26/2008

Coke isn't a hoax, totally. I have about 20 screws from my guitar that are rusted, so I took them all out and put them in coke (I used vanilla coke cuz that's what I had on hand). It didn't completely take it all off, but its a start.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Marcia (Guest Post) 11/07/2008

I soak mine in Apple Cider Vinegar. It works well and then I dry them off very good, to make sure they are very dry you can heat them in a oven or in a dry fry pan on low.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By peter (Guest Post) 01/22/2009

What liquid works better to take rust off nails pepsi, apple juice or coke?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No