Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Saving Money on Contact Lens Cleaning and Disinfecting Systems

Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade solution to store contacts in?

By Jan from MI

Homemade contact lens solution is not recommended. Back in the old days of contact lenses there were tablets which were dissolved in water to make soaking/saline solution, but these were discontinued as the finished product was not sterile.

You can find inexpensive good solutions--use store brand like Target or WalMart's Equate. Play it safe, your eyes deserve it.

Be careful with your eyes! Sometimes the thrifty way isn't worth it!

I am looking for a cheaper, more economical contact lens cleaning and disinfecting system than the one I am currently using, which is the Ciba Vision Aosept system. I have soft, daily wear contact lenses, and I am interested in not only a more economical cleaning/disinfecting system, but also in any other money saving contact lens tips the readers may have. Thank you.

Tori

Answers:

I am allergic to most cleaners except the Aeosept. I went to a specialist in contacts and he said I could wash my contacts every day with baking soda and rinse in hot faucet water and soak in saline over night and then disinfect once a week.

I just went last week to get new contacts since I haven't worn them for a few years and now they have the no rub solution and she said that's about all they make and they don't even make the Aeosept any longer.

She said I could do the baking soda rinse and soak overnight in saline if I am allergic to this new no rub solution and not to even worry about disinfecting because you throw the lenses away in a month or so and they have not had any problems with patients. I always wash my hands very well and have had no problems. I am not a doctor, but this has worked for me and my contact specialist sees no problem. (11/26/2004)

By Evelyn

Make your own soft contact lens cleaning solution by first getting a travel cleaning system that uses hydrogen peroxide. Use the enclosed bottle since it has a platinum catalyst. Use standard 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with about 20 grains (tiny pieces ) of pure salt (non-iodized, no anti-caking additive - kosher salt works). This mix will save you hundreds of dollars a year.

Note that you can use a "enzyme" tablet every week or so to prolong the usefulness of soft lenses so you don't have to throw them out so often. (02/20/2009)

By Steven