"Mom, I'm Bored!": Summer Activities
Summer brings mixed feelings. Usually the first week is fun, but after a few days we hear the familiar refrain, "Mom, I'm bored, what can I do?"
Some mothers can stay at home with their children but some have to go to their jobs while the kids are out of school. You might consider having a teenager or mother in your neighborhood watch your children during the summer rather than the day care center. If you have a reliable teenager or neighbor nearby, you may save some money on daycare and let your children enjoy being home.
- Get the kids involved in additional chores around the house before letting them go out to play. Even the smallest can share in small cleaning jobs. "We have to get the house clean and the chores done before we can go play." This helps to give them a schedule and organize their time. It also adds to their sense of responsibility. (Feed the dogs and cats, change their linens, clean the tub, mop floors, dust, vacuum, collect their dirty clothes, sweep.)
- Arrange with other mothers in your area to share the child care. This will allow you to take some time for yourself or take care of the things that are easier to do without the kids.
- Think up some good summer projects i.e. plant a vegetable garden, developing new skills with craft projects, learning a foreign language (tapes are available at the library). Summer allows for many schools skills to be forgotten so as much as you can do to stimulate their continued learning, the better.
- Take them on nature hikes and teach them about the environment, local plants and animals.
- Teach them about simple food preparation.
- Check with your local library for fun activities and summer reading programs.
I'm sure many of you have lots of good ideas how to keep kids busy and learning during the summer. Submit them below or use the Contact Us Link to the left and we'll add them for you.
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
May 29, 20080 found this helpful
Learn a foreign language?
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 20, 2016 at 8:45:32 AM on 10.0.0.204 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us