Use a Broadcast Spreader for Salting Sidewalks

Winter is here and it seems like we constantly have to put down salt on either the driveway or the sidewalk. So my husband, being the clever person he is, came up with a very easy and cost effective way to put down our salt. He uses our hand crank seed thrower (that is just sitting on the shelf waiting for spring) and this spreads the salt evenly and lets it go farther, saving us money on salt and less time spent actually doing the job. When spring time comes back around we just wash the seed thrower out really well and it is set to go. We are always looking for double duties around here and this is a great one.

Source: My wonderful husband.

By Michelle from Newark, Ohio

I am so THRILLED by your post!... I don't live in a climate where the ice builds up, but we did in the past & I remember how my mother worried someone would slip & hurt themselves on our sidewalk ice... This idea is one of those AMAZING ideas that make you think "GOSH! why didn't I think of THAT?" ... A simply WONDERFUL idea! ... Thank You for posting it!

Urea based fertilizer (it has the highest first numbers) works just as well as salt and wont damage cement. It would be easy to use in a spreader too.

Tell him he can straighten the crank handle with pliers and then chuck his cordless drill onto it! I reseeded a whole 28-acre pasture that way.

BTW, why not use coarse sand instead, and keep the salt out of the groundwater? God bless, Kim

man slipping on ice
Removing Ice on Sidewalks and Driveways
Home and Garden Home Improvement ToolsMarch 5, 2008
A petunia growing in a crack in pavement.
Growing Plants in Pavement Cracks
Urbanite Garden Bed
Urbanite (Recycled Concrete) Craft Projects
A worm on pavement.
Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway
🎉
🎄