Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We have this awful smell coming from our pipe area. It is in our laundry room but is not coming from our laundry pipes. We recently had a plumber come out and run a camera through and nothing was found. It is so bad that we do not invite anyone over, and we're actually thinking about selling our house after only 6 months. We are out of ideas to where this might be coming from. We have a sewer line that is brand new. Someone please help! Jenna from Levittown, PA

By

By samm09/22/2009

I think you should call your plumber back, I can hardly believe he didn't saw anything wrong here. The smell has to come somewhere, maybe there is a clog and he didn't see it. You still have time to fix the problem. Good luck!
http://www.brickunderground.com/node/78

By Kathy (Guest Post)12/05/2008

Is it possible there had been a leak before that was fixed, but maybe there is some mold or something growing? Maybe the wood is rotted around the pipe from something? Just a thought.

By Sherri (Guest Post)12/05/2008

Hello,
Please remember that you must disclose any problems with your house to a new buyer. If you don't, and they have the same problem come up, they can sue you for damages. Please call your local sewer/garbage company for any information they might offer. Good luck

By Jenna Ramos [1]12/05/2008

Well its not all the pipes, its only coming from our laundry area where there is access to underneath the tub.

By mklema92658 (Guest Post)12/04/2008

I agree, hot, boiling water down the toilets and drains. You can add Dawn dish soap or some other cleaner of your choice. Continue adding boiling water down the drains and toilets at regular intervals.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I have a REALLY bad smell coming from all of the pipes in our house. It is worst in the kitchen but the bathrooms smell too. It is so bad I am embarrassed to invite people over to our house. Does anyone know why this is happening and what can be done about it? Please help us make our house not smell. Thanks! Dhr1s

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I had that problem also. I bought a big box of baking soda and spooned (It will just pile up on the bottom of the sink if you try and pour it down the drain) as much of it as possible down the drains and then followed with 1 cup of vinegar down each drain. Let it sit for a while before you run any water in the drain. I haven't had a problem with "drain smell" since then. I also occasionally boil a big pan full of water and and pour it down each drain to get rid of soap and grease residue. (06/05/2006)

By SkyeBlue

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

Have you tried a Drain-o type product? That will get rid of any clogs that may be culprit. How about some of that septic system stuff that you add monthly? Are you on septic? Is your septic system backing up? That can definitely cause a bad odor!

We are moving to a farm, probably later this summer, so I will be learning quickly about septic systems. But at this point, I don't know much to help. Good luck! (06/05/2006)

By Crunchy Mama

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We had to have someone go on top of the roof, put the hose in the pipe that comes out of the roof (pipes that go to the bathroom), turn the hose on and blow it out. It really helped all drains, even the garage disposal that was stopped up. Try it. (06/06/2006)

By eve

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We use to have the same problem (when we would walk through our front door it smelled awful so I never wanted to invite anyone over), anyway, my hubby ended up crawling under our house because it got so bad. It turns out that we had a leak in the kitchen and it had created a "pool" under our house. So we called a plumber to fix the leak and they recommended putting some Lime stuff on the water to help kill the bacteria and all. And it is all better now, no smell! (06/06/2006)

By crys7881

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

We had the same problem in both California and Nevada. Thought something had died in the bathroom. Turned out to be "hard" water standing in the pipes, toilets and sinks. If all the other suggestions fail, try testing your water by putting a drop of liquid detergent in a jar, fill the jar part way with water, put the lid on and shake. If you don't get lots of suds "hard" water may be your problem and you might want to consider a water softener. We did, and the horrible smells went away. Good luck. (06/07/2006)

By ShellyE

RE: Bad Smell Coming From Pipes

I would check with a plumber as soon as possible. We had a house like that once and it was a really old house that had an open cistern under the house that some dingbat had run the sewer pipes through. After living in the house with 4 kids and 2 adults eventually the sewer backed up into the cistern. Totally unhealthy fumes in the house, yuck! Good luck. (06/08/2006)

By carla