Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House

Category Odors
It is not always easy to determine where a bad smell is coming from in your home. This guide is about locating the source of a foul smell in the house.

I had this issue just after moving into a new rental. It seemed to match most of the 'rotten egg and sulfur' smells that are repeated on this thread. I figured out my issue, and may match many of yours as well.

The master bedroom is where they usually install the bulk of the alarm systems, sometimes in a master closet (most of the time it seems). The alarm's backup battery (the little 4 inch square box - black, grey or tan) that it uses can go bad after being constantly charged over many years and it can rupture slightly, emitting a small amount of (you guessed it) sulfuric acid, which really stinks! I made the mistake of sniffing it a bit too close, and that stuff literally takes your breath away. It was bad.

I took it to the backyard where I will dispose of it properly later. It's a hazardous substance, but I seriously doubt it would cause a health concern if it just produces an annoying stench in your closet.

It worked! The stench is gone, gone, gone!

Source: Ol factory experience and old fashioned deductive reasoning.

I was out of town from Friday to Sunday and my roommate said a smell started on Saturday. The smell is like b.o. and cat litter. I have sniffed every inch of the downstairs where the smell is and cannot find the source. I rearranged my living room and found nothing, and the smell gets worse each day. Any advice?

Answers

Best Answer

Using kitty litter will absorb any foul odor especially if it is in the walls. Just make a hole pour it in..... Works great with dead animals or rodents,too

I am experiencing a horrible smell in my house. I first thought it was from some carpeting that had been soiled by some of my pets. The carpet was very old. I tore the carpet up and tried cleaning the wood flooring beneath with different cleaners that contained antibacterials, and some with enzymes to get rid of urine smells. The smell is even worse now. It feels like it even leaves a burning feeling on my tongue and feel like I can taste it. The smell has made me vomit. I don't even know how to describe the smell because I haven't ever smelled anything like this. It has permeated the whole house. I can't find the source of the smell. It just keeps getting worse. Can anyone help me soon? I'm so desperate.

I have this odor that comes and goes. I think that it is associated with the furnace, however I have just had the furnace annual maintenance done. I had the air ducts cleaned and did the monthly cleaning of the filters and it is still here.

I find as I get older it affects my chronic bronchitis making it worse than usual and causes my eyes to burn. When it shows up it seems to be strongest when the furnace is blowing heat.

I know it is not the refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, washer, or dryer as those are new and the dryer duct was cleaned with the rest of the vents. I always figured it was associated with the cleaning of the furnace filters, but this time it showed up four days after I had cleaned the filters.

My husband does not seem to notice it and my son has no sense of smell so I feel like I might be crazy. Anyone know who I can call to get this looked into? My furnace people are clueless and have been no help at all.

By wjw

Answers

What room are you in and what chair or bed are you in when you smell the odor?

The odor is throughout the house - livingrooms, bathrooms and bedrooms - not sure about garage as my disability does not let me get out there. The odor is there reguardless of where I am at - sitting in chair in the livingroom, at desk in office, cooking in kitchen, at diningroom table or in bed in master bedroom.

I would sprinkle all the carpets and furniture with baking soda. Then after thirty minutes vacuum it up. I would fill a bottle of 2 cups of water with 1 cup of white vinegar and spray down all the rooms with it and wipe it off, as far as the walls go and doors etc. Have the vent on the roof checked to see if it is blocked.

Tie a heavy small object to a long string. Drop it down the vent. If it doesn't fall, the vent needs to be cleaned.

Here is an article on things in a house that can and do make people feel ill and what to do about them.

http://www.life … ign=food_allergy

Blessings, Robyn

Hello, I had a similar problem. It was esp bad when the oil furnace came on. We finally tracked it down to a leak under the toilet that was dripping loaded water into the ventilation system. Yuck.

We have a odor in our basement which we only noticed about one month ago. The smell is very bitter and to begin with I thought it was the herb, dill, but as there is nothing like that downstairs. It wasn't that and it seems to be getting stronger as time goes by. It is now starting to come up thru the heat pipes.

As we are able to keep the windows open now it isn't a real problem, but it will be when it we have to close them. Is there anything like a meter that will read when we are close to the problem? We have been thru everything and washed what we thought might pose a problem with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

By Sharon L.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have gas, it will smell like rotten eggs. They put a chemical in it called mercapaden (sp?). It's for that purpose alone. It truely smells like sulpher.

You may have some kind of sealent, or acidic substance that has soaked through and old can and into the wood or piping system. You may also have a dead animal. You may want to call a plumber and see that your sewage pipes have not been cracked by tree limbs, or your local HVAC company. Good luck!

I came home one day after my AC went out and my house smelled odd. It is getting cooler so we have just been running fans in the house until we can get the AC fixed. But one day I came home and there was a smell in the house that smelled like someone had burned food and tried to add spices to make it better. The smell wouldn't be unbearable if it wasn't so strong. It is stronger in a few areas of the house than others, but I can't find where it is coming from. Any ideas?

I have an open floor plan with stained, scored concrete floors in the living room and carpet in the bedrooms. I have been in two different houses that are built the same just different floor plans. I noticed when we moved out of one house that it smelled awful. The smell was only in the living area. I have three dogs and thought it was because of them. I cleaned the house from top to bottom, opened all doors and windows for several days and placed baking soda boxes in several different places. The smell would never go away.

Now I am smelling the same smell in the new house. I clean, clean, clean all the time and my dogs are bathed regularly. It's not my furniture and I got rid of the area rugs. I don't even know how to explain the smell. It smells like dirt to me. This is a rental house built in 2005 and my landlord was very upset with me in the last house. I feel like I clean more than the average person, but yet my house always stinks! Is there a professional service I can call for help?

By TB

Answers

I too had dogs and my house smelled really bad no matter what I did I even ripped out all the carpeting and installed laminate wood floors. All 3 of my dogs developed cancer and just recently I read an article that cancer does smell. Yes, you will smell it in your house. Was that the odor I was smelling? How old are the dogs? Have they had a pattern change lately like peeing in the house when they generally don't? Or laying down in a spot they rarely would have? Or cuddling next to another dog when they generally don't? Or licking an area of their body repeatedly?

I tried whole house air filters plus additional room air filters (very expensive to do) and still couldn't stop the smell because I didn't know my dogs had cancer. That's the problem with the disease you can't see it til it's too late. Unfortunately, since my last dog died I no longer have an odor problem.

Could it be your cleaning products? or needing a dehumidifier?

My first thought is that it has something to do with the stain on the concrete floor. Perhaps they used a wrong kind of stain and it reacted with the concrete. I'm not an expert on this, but if you have cleaned very thoroughly and repeatedly and the smell is still there, then it must be in the concrete and/or the stain. Just a guess. Good luck in finding a solution!

I am a first time homebuyer and bought my 1097 square foot, low-level home last July. The home was built in 1974. Since shortly after buying the home and closing, there has been a strong sewage smell that plagues the residence. It was around this same time last year (August/September). It is intermittent. However, this smells deters me from inviting anyone over and it accompanies what seems to be an infestation of gnats.

I can't sleep, sit, eat, or anything without a gnat aggressively attacking me. They help me do my hair, help me clean, help me cook, etc. It's driving me crazy. Last year I had the plumbers out because I thought it was a plumbing issue with setting water, but it's back again this year the same time or year with the gnats! I don't have a sceptic tank. I've also noticed like a week or so ago my plumbing backs up, of course my issue began long before this manifestation, but I don't think that helps the cause!

Last year I did the vinegar traps and yes they caught many gnats, but there were equal amounts still living and the smell is still present. It seemed last year like it only went away when the weather got cold. It did not happen all summer, but with the season change it seems to be back in autumn. I've spent a lot of money on this house even after paying an inspector to catch the important stuff, but at this point I need to know where I can begin or what to do cheaply to address this and not deal with it every year around the same time? Someone please help me! What could this smell be with this accompanying infestation of gnats and what can I do to remedy this?

Beginning in January, in the middle of the night, we'd get an awful, acrid, skunk-like smell throughout the house. I'd step outside to make sure that wasn't where it was originating. As soon as I'd come back in, the odor was awful. We have to light candles, turn on the exhaust fan over the stove, and crack open a door. This would happen every 2 or 3 weeks. Now, we've had 2 consecutive nights of the occurrence. I don't think it can actually be a skunk since the odor disappears in about 3 hours. I have also noticed a few stink bugs (5), but have never smelled that odor when I get rid of them. Any ideas?

The odor we have in our kitchen seems to smell like old lettuce. We have cleaned the fridge, inside and outside and find nothing to indicate anything. We have cleaned everything else and can not find the source. I have set bowls of vinegar around the kitchen and baking soda in the fridge and they do not help. There is no standing water anywhere. Help! Every time the refrigerator is opened the smell is stronger. Thank you in advance. New refrigerator?

My home is clean, the trash is taken out, no dirty dishes, and I haven't cooked anything today. About a hour ago this foul smell filled up the entire house. I've checked all bathrooms and sinks to make sure that nothing was backed up and everything looked OK. I can't even describe what it smells like. I have no inside animals. This has been happened for about a week. It was so bad on Sunday that the smell woke me up and I sleep with a full face mask hooked up to a CPAP machine, but I could still smell it. I've done smell checks on all the kids. It is horrible. I have Crohn's so I smell things to the extreme, it's like I have the nose of a pregnant woman. I'll take any suggestions. I have hardwood floors, central air and heat, and all my air and water filters have just been changed.

We have had several dead animals under the slab foundation after a torrential rain. We had several holes around the house where we have seen rabbits and possums. How long before smell goes away?

By Nova

Answers

Best Answer

It takes about 3 weeks for the smell of dead rat in the walls to go away. Your situation sounds a bit different. The moisture might make it a longer process.

I've had a terrible smell in my master bathroom and closet for almost 3 months, and at first I thought it smelled like sewage. The smell kept getting worse, primarily in the closet so I steam cleaned the carpet (only place in that area that is carpeted), but it made no change. It was horrible over the weekend - would make you gag, but almost went away on Monday.

The smell came back by Wednesday so I had plumbers out to run a smoke test. They re-set the toilet, even though there was no smell in the water closet. It made no change. Since then we have flushed the AC unit, had the roof checked and checked the attic. There is no smell in there. The smell changed from a sewage smell to a pungent musky smell and primarily stayed in the closet and bathroom but you could also smell it in an adjacent hallway and even in the garage.

My parents came over and was certain in smelled like a dead mouse in the wall. I called exterminators and they agreed it was a dead smell, and assured me that it would fade over two weeks.

We did a full exclusion service last year. We did find an area where an AC hose enters the brick that was chewed up. We fixed it and sealed the gap. That was 2 months ago and since the smell gets better and worse. The odd thing is that in the last couple of weeks the musky smell has returned to a sewage/trash type smell and has intensified. Also, although it pretty much stays in the closet/bathroom area it still "moves". Last week it was in the garage, and today it's even by the toilet (water closet).

It's driving me insane to have to deal with this stinch! Odor eliminators don't even touch the smell. We're clean people and it disgusts me to think of something rotting behind my walls. But then, dead things don't move. Suggestions on where to go from here?

By Stacie D

Answers

I'm having almost the exact same issue. Help!

How awful. I don't have a suggestion or even a guess of what it could be but you sure have my sympathy.

I am ALSO having this same issue! Has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Here, it smells like really STRONG Parmesan cheese. In the beginning I was certain it was a mess from cats in the house. Like the previous poster, the odor moves from room to room. It has mostly been in the kitchen and sometimes it can be smelled in the adjacent living room. Tonight I can smell it strongly from my "office" just off of the master bedroom. It's enough to make me gag. Who does a person call?? I will be following this thread and hope yours is better by now. Oh yeah. My second thought was the septic tank was overflowing; had it pumped, not the issue. :(

I am also having the same issue. Has anyone found an answer yet? I don't even know who to call about it. Please, I'd love some advice!

Same problem here. Please let me know if you find anything out.

How do I eliminate a bad odor that came out of nowhere? A few days ago we came home and my house smelled like death and melons. I know that sounds funny, but there's no other way of describing the smell. Initially we thought it was the actual trash, so we poured bleach into the trash bag and tied it closed. It was too late at night to put it in the garbage. Then, the following day, the odor was even stronger. So we poured bleach and soap in the trash can itself and set it outside. Well this morning the odor has worsened. It's not the trash or can, it's not my fridge or the freezer, we don't have a garbage disposal, nor does our dog urinate in our house, he knows better than that! We have no freak'n idea where the source of this stankness is coming from. Like I said, it came literally outta nowhere. I do know that the odor isn't in any of our bedrooms or our bathroom. There's no rotten meat or rotten food in our kitchen. I'm not rich, so I can't afford to have a "specialist" come out to check what's up. I highly doubt it if our landlord will come out to check what's up. So I'm needing a solution that doesn't cost much, such as using household items to get rid of this elusive odor, especially since it's not paying my rent, so it's gots'tuh go. lol. But really, all joking aside. Please help me someone, please!

We have a very foul dead animal odor in our home. The only time this odor is present is after my wife has used a hair dryer. We know it is not the dryer itself, because it does not smell if used outside our home, ie. vacation.

The smell seems to appear after using the dryer for a while and it does not smell in the bathroom where it is being used. It seems to be drawn in from another room. Once the dryer is off the smell slowly dissipates and is gone.

I can not find anything in the ventilation, attic, or crawl space. This has been happening for nearly five years. I think that if it were a small dead animal that it would have dried up and quit smelling by now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Charles from Indianapolis, IN

Answers

Most likely the smell you are smelling is rust, and the dryer is blowing the odor around that usually just close to the place the rust is. Behind or in your toilet, your pipes under your sink has tiny hole, the over flow in your bathroom sink, the overflown of your shower or tub. Do you need a new wax ring on your toilet?

Another thing that stinks like that is toilet bowl cleaner, lime away. Do you have these chemicals under your sink near moisture? These to will don't spread there smell unless the air moves around them.

If you only notice this smell when she runs the hair dryer and it has been going on for five years, it is possible that there is hair in the dryer. I had an old hair dryer that I used for almost 25 years and I noticed a burning hair smell when I would use the dryer - not a nice smell. I think when the dryer is used, loose hairs are blown around and sucked back into the inlet in the dryer. Just a thought.

I had this same problem a few years ago and it was driving me crazy. I live in a rural area and a mouse had gotten in the house and took a bite of the electric ignitation wire behind my gas stove and fried him self and that was where the odor was coming from.

Hi guys! I wonder if you can help me too. I sort of have a similar problem and its almost a week now. There is a terrible smell of a dead animal in my kitchen; I have tried to locate exactly where the smell comes from in the kitchen but have not been able to pin point the source. I have tried smelling the sink but the sink doesn't smell so I honestly don't know what to do now. The last post mentioned something about having chemicals under the sink. I do have a whole stack of cleaning detergents under my sink in the cabinet; I have removed all of them and will see if there is any change tomorrow.

Could it be the drain? How am I suppose to know if it's coming from the drain and yet the when I smelled the sink i didn't smell the rotten meat odour. Please advise. Thanks!

Would it be possible for the foul smell to be coming from plumbing not done properly?

We purchased a new home in December. All was OK, though we could smell the floor stain (Minwax and Fabulon). Around April we began to cut on the AC. Those of us who slept near the vents had sneezing fits constantly day and night for weeks. We thought it was pollen. Then we all began to get tired, nauseated, have ringing in our ears, fatigued, forgetful, blurred thought, etc. Anyone else ever have anything like this?

The smell is like chemicals, reminds me of that stuff my dad used to clean his carburetor when I was a kid. Now it smells sort of rotten too. It's also sort of sweet like a perfumey sweet. It is all over the house. It is most chemically in the crawlspace and sweeter and more rotten inside the house. The crawlspace is air-conditioned like the rest of the house (stupid new federal government home design thing).

I have an weird smell in the bedroom, only at night. The adjacent the room is the bathroom which also gives off the scent.The smell started after a four day none stop rain. I cleaned the whole house with Clorox and water and washed every piece of clothing, linen, etc. The smell still comes back at night specifically around 3:00 a.m. that's when the smell wakes me up. Now I have been stuffy in the mornings with mucous coming out from my nose. The smell at times is so unbearable that I sleep on the living room couch. Please help.

We bought a trailer house about 2 years ago and did a complete renovation on it. We tore out all subfloors, paneling, insulation, the works, and replaced it with new subfloor, insulation and drywall instead of paneling.

My question is, this summer a musty odor has started coming up and I'm not sure where it's coming from. It's strongest under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink. I tore out the kick plate under the kitchen sink and cannot seem to notice any leaks. I'm not sure if it could be coming up from under the house, as we took out all our skirting and replaced it with foam sheets glued to weather resistant 2x4s and covered with a stucco material. This has caused condensation in the past so we added a fan in the skirting to pull out some of the moisture under the house.

As a side note about a month ago we had an issue with gnats and could not find the source. I think it might have been from the dishwasher because we rarely use it. I cleaned out under the fridge and inside the dishwasher and the gnats went away. My question is, what can I do to diagnose it or who can I call that won't cost me a fortune?

By Mary

Answers

Is the floor covering around the bathroom vanity or commode bubbling up or does it feel squishy when you press down on it? If yes, something is doing a slow leak/drip inside the floor or walls - could be condensation on the pipes if you used copper pipes OR the toilet ring has either failed or didn't seal completely at install (ask me how I know this).

Can you get under the trailer to check for damp under the bathroom? Even if the floor covering isn't bubbling, if you have a small slow commode seal leak or a sweating copper pipe you should be able to see signs of damp on the underside of the house.

If it's a roof leak you may be able to see signs of damp on the exterior bathroom wall; if you are using a through the wall fan, the seal could be failing; if you have a window in there, that seal may have failed. Not enough of a leak to be immediately noticeable but the dank smell is a sure sign.

Is your house completely level? It's hard to tell (fill the sink in bath and kitchen and see if the water sits level in the sinks) but water coming in through the roof will follow the path to the lowest level.

Run a visual check along your roofline - water could be coming in somewhere on the roof (popped screws if you have a metal roof or a really small warping where the roof edges meet the main frame of the trailer. This happens a lot especially on a single-wide of all widths, again, sigh, ask me how I know this.

Good luck, it does sound as though you have pipe condensation or tiny roof leak. I love single-wides but they do have their little idiosyncrasies.

Finding the source of the odor is half of the battle. Wash all of the walls down with a vegetable oil based soap. This will clean up any dirt, dust or mildew. It will also give you a fresh smelling room.

Removing mold can only be done by removing the source. If there is mold or mildew under the cabinets or the carpet, it will be necessary to remove the carpet. Even if you dry out the carpet or cabinet, there is a chance the mold will remain.
Spreading lime under the mobile home will eliminate musty, moldy odors . Crawl under the home and check to see if there is moisture, which may come from leaking pipes . Add vents to the mobile home skirting to allow for air flow. Replace any leaking pipes.

Removing odors by shampooing carpets, washing windows and giving the old mobile home a thorough cleaning. The baking soda or charcoal will absorb the odors, and you can just toss it in the trash when the odor is gone.

If it coming only from under sinks and smells like dirt and you have seen gnats, there is stuff in your sink pipe trap that is decaying, molding, etc. (the u shaped part). You can fix it by pouring some bleach in the drains. But you need to make sure it is enough to fill up the u shaped part and you have to leave it there for a few hours at least. The idea is you want only bleach sitting in that trap for a while. The bleach will kill whatever is growing there, including the gnats that are living there, and the smell will go away.

I have this smell in my unit; I am 3 stories up. It smells like Parmesan cheese or off powdered milk. I get wiffs of it around near the kitchen. But when I go looking for the smell I just can't detect where it is coming from.

My daughter just bought an old house and the smell is unreal. It hits you when you walk in the door. I was worried it was cats, but the lady who lived in the house did not have any cats. Could you help me get rid of the smell?
Thank You

I live in Florida and have had a bad rotten garbage type smell in my garage for years. I have cleaned out everything, I do not see any evidence of anything it could be. It only smells in the garage. It does not smell in mudroom laundry area which is inside the garage door to house. Nor does it smell outside of my garage. I only notice the smell when I go into the garage when the garage door is shut, or when I first open the garage door and I am outside.
The only thing left to check is the walls. Any idea what it could be or who to call to check it?

I have a horrible smell in my house. I first thought it was from some carpeting that had been soiled by some of my pets. I tore the carpet up and cleaned the wood flooring, but it is still here.

My whole house smells like cat urine. I can't find the original location as somedays I can smell it all through the house and somedays I can only smell it in certain areas and then other days it doesn't smell at all. I've never caught the cat in action which makes it even harder to find. It's driving me crazy

We have been experiencing a strange fishy smell in the same area which is sometimes evident and sometimes not for a few months now. Sometimes it is subtle and other times truly strong! It is in an enclosed area just inside our front door. I saw a similar Q and A to this on here which connects this possibly to being an electrical fault. But would this still be occurring when the only ceiling light and wall socket in there are off and not being used?
Concerned.

I get a reoccurring fishy odor that comes and goes in the house. It is in the same area. What could it be?

Every 3 years we get this awful smell, like Parmesan cheese that seems to come through the walls on our stairwell. It is very strong and lasts for a week or two, then completely vanishes! We live in a pole home, so the underside of the house is exposed. I am wondering if there is some plant, or mould that could be causing this strange odour?

After one month I moved out of my house to sell it. The handyman called me on the bad smell coming out of the attached garage; it is like a sewage smell. Since then I have opened the sheet rock on 3 walls of the garage looking for a dead animal, not seen. I called the gas people, it is not a gas smell. I called the plumber, they did the smoke test, water pressure test, and used a camera down the drain and could not find what is causing the smell. This has been 9 months. Someone please help. Is there anything like a smell detector out there? The house is in Houston Texas area.

I just moved into a townhouse. I didn't notice a smell at first. Now when I leave the house my clothes reek of what smells kind of like mothballs! The weird thing is you cannot smell the mothball smell in the house very much, at least not to the extent of when you take the items out of house and or on my clothes and other items when I leave the house.

There is an Indian couple who live next to mine could this be a curry or smell or is it mothballs? I have a fire wall between the houses and do not share any air ducts or anything with either neighbor. I have checked the attic for mothballs and nothing was found. I have brand new carpet and flooring and newly painted walls! Where could this smell be coming from? And how do I get rid of it ASAP! Oh and I also have bought and used my ozone generator a few times and I feel like the smell is coming back. I can't even bring my clothes back into house until it's gone.

I have had a foul odor in my master bedroom for about a month or more. I live in a 117 year old small house with no central heat or air. I have an indoor cat and dog that's had free run until this mysterious odor appeared! I have shampooed the carpet and that helped for about a day and it came right back. It definitely does not smell like cat urine, however I haven't denied it possibly being dog urine, but my husband emphatically disagrees. He doesn't think it's either one. We have a window unit air conditioner that I've cleaned the filter on so many times it's just ridiculous. I put down 20 Mule Team Borax and Carpet Fresh last night and let it stay for about two hours then vacuumed it up. Then I removed all items from under the bed, sprinkled Borax and Carpet Fresh and left it over night. The smell is back again today.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

I have a terrible smell coming from in or around my daughter's room. I air out the room and it goes away. But as soon as I close the window the smell comes back. It is so terrible, it sort of smells like rotten milk or human urine. It is so strong. I have changed all the bedding, cleaned, mopped, and dusted and the smell is still there. I feel like it could be coming from the walls. Please help! I am in dire need!

We recently moved back into our 2 bedroom condo after being away for a month, when we began to smell a mysterious strong smell. It is a strong foul odor that comes in the evening as in the early morning. It hurts our eyes and causes our skin to itch.

We hardly smell it at all during the day, but round about suppertime we begin to smell it. It's sharp odor seems to dissipate quickly so it is hard to pin down where it it coming from.

I suspect that it comes from a bathroom that we have in the center of each floor. The gas company came but could find no propane leak. I originally suspected the garbage disposal but a plumber said that it is fine. The water in the kitchen sink occasionally tastes off. What I may do the next time the water tastes off, is to put it in a jar and get it tested. The maintenance guy checked the ventilation of foul gases from the condo but he could see nothing that was blocking it unless it was way down. Help! We wouldn't dare have house guests with a smell like this. There seems to be no way to mask it.

By Harvey N.

Answers

It is possible you might have a trapped, dead animal somewhere in your structure. If so, the smell can last for years as the decay liquids seep into the wood, sheet rock, etc. As it appears you have not considered a pest control/removal expert, you might request an opinon on the problem and the cost to remove. If you find that this is not the problem, you can consider yourselves very lucky as removal and repair can be quite expensive.

It just started 3 days ago. At first I just smelled it a little bit in the bathroom in my room. Then it was gone the following morning. The next day I didn't smell it except underneath the sink. Now the 3rd day it's just a overwhelming foul smell. I can't really describe it, but like a musty cat. I've smelled cat urine, that's not it. And it doesn't really smell like a dead animal.

I've looked all over the outside of the house and found a little opening underneath my porch that I closed up by sitting a cement block in front of it for now. I opened a small hole in the floor to see if its something was leaking and didn't see signs of water or animal feces of any kind. It's so strong now I'm thinking of buying a mattress you put on the floor, and sleeping in the living room. Right now I have the window open, and every fan in the house in there trying to air it out. What else could it be?

It might be worth mentioning the floor is wood with carpet on top and is a older house. The realtor wasn't quite sure of the age, as it was a rental before I bought it. But the realtor said the floors, plumbing were all redone but the ducts were not and are in need of repair. That being said, they are never used. The one connecting to my bedroom has been shut off as I use a large pellet furnace to heat the place. Any suggestion would be welcome, I would like to be able to sleep in my room again.

By Jeremy W.

Answers

Your crawlspace might have looked inviting to something during the summer heat or winter rain but it didn't get out. If it smells "organic" then it will go away with time. If you can find it however, it's best to remove it.
If you can't, put a box of baking soda in the rooms where it's the worst right next to the vent, and even sprinkle some down inside. I hope that helps. Leave the vent spaces blocked in the cold months but with screens on them for the warm ones and nothing else will get in there.

Load More