Horrible Smell in House

I am experiencing a horrible smell in my house. I first thought it was from some carpeting that had been soiled by some of my pets. The carpet was very old. I tore the carpet up and tried cleaning the wood flooring beneath with different cleaners that contained antibacterials, and some with enzymes to get rid of urine smells. The smell is even worse now. It feels like it even leaves a burning feeling on my tongue and feel like I can taste it. The smell has made me vomit. I don't even know how to describe the smell because I haven't ever smelled anything like this. It has permeated the whole house. I can't find the source of the smell. It just keeps getting worse. Can anyone help me soon? I'm so desperate.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I agree with Dinah. My first thought was a dead animal in the walls. Another issue might be some sewer back up issue in some place where you might not think to look. Is there some crawlspace where there might be a leak? You should be able to figure out if it is a sewer stench or dead animal smell. If you can not, call in plumbers, pest control, odor removers or whomever you think you need. Try to determine the location of the smell; get a friend to help with this -- a fresh nose, so to speak. There might also be some kind of gas leak seeping through the ground and entering your house.

It seems you have done almost everything you can do yourself to try to remedy the problem. You can consider a pest control service for a possible dead animal in the walls, floor, attic. The problem with dead animals is that as they decay, the resulting liquids seep into the wood and other building materials and this is very difficult and expensive to replace.

Also, an odor remediation service might be able to help find an answer if there is no dead animal.

if the smell is in the floor from animal urine, sealing the floor with Kliz will get rid of the odor. http://www.oneh  rom-a-sub-floor/

Hi! Thank you for your answer. I have thought of the smell possibly being a dead animal that may have died somewhere in the house. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that smells like. This odor is almost indescribable. It's almost a cross between some spoiled vomit and something that is so powerful smelling that you can actually taste it. It even feels like it leaves a burning feeling on my tongue and nasal passage. Almost like ammonia does, only not the smell of ammonia. I do have a deck that is connected to the house that has a small opening.

I don't smell this odor when out on the deck. The odor has been going on since June, and only getting worse. I truly don't think it's the wood flooring anymore The smell has gotten worse since pulling up the carpeting. I really don't know how much more that I can take. I live on a disability budget and don't have any money to hire anyone to come and check it out for me. I don't know anyone that can come and help me try and find where it's coming from. I live alone and don't really have friends or family that can help me.

My dad is having the same problem and we can't figure out what the smell is. He just bought a home that was flipped and at first we thought maybe it was the smell of the paint and newly varnished floors but it won't go away. It smells like vomit. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes my lungs feel heavy when I'm in his house too long. It also permeates into all of my dad's clothes and makes him smell like the vomit smell.

We need help. Please if you find any answers please post them and we will do the same. I have read that if the people who painted his house used old paint it could smell like vomit if it's molded, but we aren't sure if that's the case. We had a plumber come in and he said that it wasn't a plumbing type smell. We have search under his house and in the attic and they are both clean. Not sure what our next step should be.

We are having the same horrible strong BO or urine smell in my husband's workshop storage building. We had the gas company come and they eliminated that possibility and the gas is turned off in the house. There is no water supply, only electrical supply. There is a footing all around the base of the building and no attic.

No bees are entering anywhere that we can see. It has been getting stronger since the hot dry summer. If he spends time in it, he comes in the house and the smell permeates his clothing. I had a chair stored upstairs and couldn't bring it in the house because of the odor. I have tried spraying room deodorizers to no avail. Please help. Thank you

Anonymous

Have you considered that it might be bats?

I have a horrible smell in my house. I first thought it was from some carpeting that had been soiled by some of my pets. I tore the carpet up and cleaned the wood flooring benea

Anonymous

Skunk perhaps. Skunk spray up close is different from the scent you get a whiff of from road kill.

It smalls sort of like burning erasers, terrible.