Why Don't My Clothes Smell Good?

Category Clothing
This is a guide about why don't my clothes smell good?. Determine whether it's your washer, detergent or your water that is responsible for a foul smell in your washed clothes.

How can I get my laundry to smell good?

By Josie from Washington, MI

Answers

Best Answer

Hang them outside to dry and they will smell like fresh air and sunshine, or else use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.

Best Answer

You might try adding baking soda or laundry booster to your wash.
I use this on my son's athletic items, yuck!
You could also try soaking your smellier things in a bucket with white vinegar and water before washing them. Good luck.

Best Answer

I always use Febreze SPORT on my work and workout clothes! Works GREAT for me!

Why do my clothes smell foul after washing and drying them?

By Milton Das

Answers:

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Whenever clothes starts smelling funny, I run a small load of whites with plenty of bleach. My most recent washer even gives instructions to periodically run an empty load (no clothes) using bleach only. (07/20/2010)

By holly

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Try vinegar in the rinse cycle. (07/22/2010)

By Wendy

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

There are a lot of suggestions on this site. Here are few to try first.

Good luck with your laundry. Oh, and a final word, you should sort, whites, darks, towels, terribly dirty, etc. That helps. (07/27/2010)

By Louise B.

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Make sure the clothes are fully dry before putting them away. A few times I took my clothes out when my washer's sensor told me to, and they still had a tiny bit of dampness in the seams. I live a a really humid climate, and that dampness gave my clothes a slight smell. I usually fully dry everything with no problems.

Also, are you using your own washer and dryer or those at a laundromat? If you go to a laundromat, they may be absorbing smells from the dryer. I've brought some clothing home with unfamiliar odors the few times I had to use a laundromat. (07/27/2010)

By susan

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I use a 1/4 cup of baking soda in every load. Another trick, take a washrag and put a few drops of your favorite oil based scent on it and place it in the dryer with your clothes. It's a lot cheaper and lasts longer than regular dryer sheets. (07/29/2010)

By Amber

I have been using ALL detergent for several years and when I try other brands (especially Tide) my laundry would smell funky. We recently connected to city water instead of well water (which I thought was the problem), but it is still happening.

I haven't found any other brand that works. Any ideas as to what would be causing this? We also have a brand new water heater.

By shelly from MN

Answers:

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Have you tried Gain detergent? It smells great. My son left all his dirty sports uniforms in his locker and when he finally brought them home. You can't imagine the stench. Two washings with Gain and they were back to new. (03/08/2010)

By Amy3e

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

My guess is it's the washer and dryer that are the problem. Wipe and wash all nooks and crannies, grooves, etc. with white vinegar and water. See if it helps. (03/08/2010)

By PENNY K

How do I clean my washer and dryer, my clothes stink after being washed? The smell is kind of musty.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.