Finding Source of Bad Odor in House

I have an open floor plan with stained, scored concrete floors in the living room and carpet in the bedrooms. I have been in two different houses that are built the same just different floor plans. I noticed when we moved out of one house that it smelled awful. The smell was only in the living area. I have three dogs and thought it was because of them. I cleaned the house from top to bottom, opened all doors and windows for several days and placed baking soda boxes in several different places. The smell would never go away.

Now I am smelling the same smell in the new house. I clean, clean, clean all the time and my dogs are bathed regularly. It's not my furniture and I got rid of the area rugs. I don't even know how to explain the smell. It smells like dirt to me. This is a rental house built in 2005 and my landlord was very upset with me in the last house. I feel like I clean more than the average person, but yet my house always stinks! Is there a professional service I can call for help?

By TB

Best Answer

My first thought is that it has something to do with the stain on the concrete floor. Perhaps they used a wrong kind of stain and it reacted with the concrete.

I'm not an expert on this, but if you have cleaned very thoroughly and repeatedly and the smell is still there, then it must be in the concrete and/or the stain. Just a guess. Good luck in finding a solution!

Best Answer

2005..possible Chinese drywall issues?

I too had dogs and my house smelled really bad no matter what I did I even ripped out all the carpeting and installed laminate wood floors. All 3 of my dogs developed cancer and just recently I read an article that cancer does smell. Yes, you will smell it in your house. Was that the odor I was smelling? How old are the dogs? Have they had a pattern change lately like peeing in the house when they generally don't?

Or laying down in a spot they rarely would have? Or cuddling next to another dog when they generally don't? Or licking an area of their body repeatedly?

I tried whole house air filters plus additional room air filters (very expensive to do) and still couldn't stop the smell because I didn't know my dogs had cancer. That's the problem with the disease you can't see it til it's too late. Unfortunately, since my last dog died I no longer have an odor problem.

Could it be your cleaning products? or needing a dehumidifier?