Store Dried Peas and Beans in Glass Jars

I try to store my open bags of peas and beans in a glass tea jar (I use a funnel to get them in). This keeps me from having the beans spill all over my pantry when the rubber band doesn't go on properly. I have found that if I open up the plastic bag at one end, I can slide the bag with the label and directions over the end of the jar, so that I don't forget what's inside OR how to cook it. It's easy to pour the beans out into a measuring cup since the mouth of the jar is narrow. Now my pantry stays a lot neater with the jars upright instead of having different shaped rice and bean bags everywhere. Also, I can save some money by not buying containers since I just reuse a jar!

By Erin from Blue Bell, PA

This is a good idea. I do this myself. I have a dz large size canning jars....they might be a 1/2 gal size. I use them for the legumes or pasta/noodles and rice that I buy in larger quantities and then I use smaller canning jars or just glass jars that I've saved for other dry goods. It keeps the pantry neat/organized, I can see what's in the jars and whether I am running low, plus keeps things fresh. The jars can ben re-used over and over. I probably prefer to store food items in glass over plastic.

I use Nestle Instant Ice Tea jars for my beans, choco. chips, lentils etc.

I just put the unopened bag in. I also put a piece of masking tape on the bags before inserting with the date purchased. Then you know what items are getting old. Also, I open boxes of small pastas and put in these jars with any special directions and tape with date on outside of jar too. Doing this will ensure that you don't get small bugs in your dry items. After I use some of the item, I "decant" into smaller type jars.

I use plastic 2L bottles because my kids break my glass jars. I have all kinds of empty plastic bottles/containers from other foods that i was out and use because of the bug/beetle problem here. When the plastic bottle/contain gets too yucky, I just recycle them.

We just recently stopped drinking soda pop and drink instant tea now. I too have saved my glass tea jars and put beans, rice and small noodles in them. They also come in handy when you need to mix something up. Just screw on the lid and shake.

Erin. I always keep my empty glass jars to reuse when I.m making jam, pickles and chutney etc. I also keep my grandson's baby food jars, too. They come in useful when you get asked "mum have you got a bit of..." Especially if it's herbs and spices. Jan UK.

Another help would be to add a bay leave to the jar..just for extra protection from little critters

Reusing Glass Jars, Glass Jar on White Background
Reusing Glass Jars
Food and Recipes StorageMarch 31, 2009
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Freezing Black-eyed Peas
Freezing Field Peas (Black-Eyed Peas)
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Removing Odors from Glass Jars
Freezing Peas, Frozen Peas
Freezing Peas
🎉
🎄