Party Foods That Do Not Require Refrigeration

I would like some help for suggestions on "traveling food". To explain I have three family functions coming up, a 30th birthday party, and then a Xmas Eve celebration, then one on Xmas day. These are at different households.

We all contribute food wise, to these celebrations, but my problem is that I don't have a car, and must walk, then catch a train, in one case two trains, to get to where I'm going.

I was wondering if anyone can give some helpful suggestions on what kind of food to take, given I must carry it, so a large bowl of anything is out. It must stand up to at least an hour's train travel, and here in Australia it's summer, not winter, so it could be very hot.

Thank you for anything you can think of.

By Ellie from Melbourne, Australia

I don't know what is available in your area.....but I would do; chex mix, canned ham and a can of pineapple. Arrange the pineapple on the ham after both are opened. Cookies or unfrosted cake-sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon instead of frosting. It wont melt in heat.

popcorn balls

fresh fruit

I would take some type of bread. Maybe a banana nut loaf or homemade rolls.

My Go To Dish in this situation is Corn Salad. Just take canned whole kernel corn, salad dressing, and some seasonings. Open the can at the location and put it in a bowl. Add the salad dressing and any seasonings you would like (red or green bell peppers, parsley, little tomatoes, etc.) I usually use an Italian Salad Dressing because other dressings can add an unappetizing color to the corn.

If that doesn't appeal bring fruit like grapes, bananas, apples, etc. They can be cut up there into a fruit platter or salad and are always welcome by those trying to lose weight.

Third option: If there is a bakery nearby that has a spectacular bread, bring a couple of loaves.

I agree that bread would be great. If it is in a box it won't squash. I'd suggest cheese or seeded bread sticks. They're durable and go well with most any kind of food. If not bread sticks, then small cheese rolls or seeded rolls. Something with a taste other than the wheat or rye. Enjoy yourself at the parties.

My first thought when I read your post was addressing the heat issue. Do they sell the insulated hot/cold bags in Australia? I have 2 and they do work to keep cold foods cold for quite awhile. I put them in the freezer, open, for about an hour before I use them and sometimes drop a few ice cubes in if my items are sealed tightly with a lid. They're light weight, hold a lot and have a convenient carrying handle. If the bags aren't available, then olives are usually welcome. Drain and transfer to a sealable baggie to lighten the weight. Since it's family, could you buy some light weight boxed items, like the pasta salads and such, and prepare it when you get there? I wish it was summer here in America now! ;-( Good luck!

Lot's of good ideas already given but here are a couple more:

Dried fruit, packages of microwave popcorn and/or pre-bake the recipe below and ask someone else, who is able to contribute without worry of spoilage, to supply hummus to dip the chips in :-) Just double, triple, etc the recipe to make more:

Parmesan Pita Crisps

It's so quick and easy to make 48 crisps. Be sure to serve with your favorite flavor of hummus :-)

1/2 cup butter, softened

4 - 6 inch pita bread

4 tbls Parmesan cheese, shredded

Split each pita in half to make two rounds, spread each round with butter and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Cut each round into six wedges, place on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Hope to have been of help.

Thank you so much for your suggestions so far. To Tiggersmom, yes, I do have a couple of those insulated bags, we call them chiller bags.

I should be able to come up with some sort of combinations from your welcome suggestions.

Can you possibly order something by phone and either have it delivered to the destination or pick it up on your way to the destination? Or how about chipping in some money with other people at the events? That way you are contributing, but you don't have to carry anything.

Pasta salad is a good dish because you can use any raw vegetables you like. I boil some pasta (rotini holds up the best) in salted water. While the pasta is cooking, I usually shred carrots and slice zucchini and yellow squash. Sometimes I add black or green olives or whole kernel corn. Then I drain the pasta, add Italian salad dressing while it's still hot and add the vegetables. Sometimes I add black or green olives or whole kernel corn. Any raw vegetable that you like will work. You can make it a day ahead and put it into a plastic bowl with a tight lid. It travels well and is always a hit. One thing to remember -- the pasta will soak up the dressing so you may want to taste it before you leave the house and add a little more dressing if needed.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 4, 2009
Museum Themed Party
Throwing Museum Themed Party
Super Bowl Party Brownies
Super Bowl Party Foods
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Home Decorated for Girl's Birthday Party
Decorating Your Home for a Party