Why Are My Pickling Cucumbers Yellow and Round?

I have planted pickling cukes and they are turning yellow and they are almost shaped like a ball, round. Can you tell me why they are yellow? Thank you.

By Pauline from Highland Springs, VA

They sound like the lemon cucumbers I grew last year. You can see some here (apparently she grew hers in a container, I grew mine in a raised bed on a trellis):

http://loumms.wordpress.com/2010/01 ... ost-how-to-container-grow-cucumbers/

Did you buy plants, or start from seeds? I wonder if there was a mix-up. I've never had it happen with veggies, but I've had flowers come up the wrong color before.

It seems you must have what is called 'Lemon Cucumbers'. I like them. Taste very much the same asd the regular cukes, a bit lighter taste.

I planted a package of cantaloupe seeds once and grew Crenshaw melons. Maybe they were mispackaged.

Did you plant any squash or gourds near by. They could have cross pollinated.

Humm .. Maybe thats what happened to mine.. They cross pollinated with the watermelon plants i planted. At first my cukes were fine but now that I think about it once my watermelons flowering my cucumbers got fat and yellow...

Check to see if you planted the correct seeds for picklers. If they are the regular ones, then the yellowing could be over ripe and needs to be picked. Sounds like an error in the seeds.

Rounded cucumbers especially pickling cucumbers, mean that your soil is missing key nutrients, also poor irrigation can cause this problem. I learned this the hard way "by it happening to me!' My suggestion is to get a soil testing kit to find out what nutrients you are lacking. Also if your soil is hard and poor quality it can cause the water and fertilizer you put on not to soak enough into the roots. make sure to soak them deeply and often if your soil is hard. I would suggest next year to put in some soil ammendments, like some top soil, natures helper soil conditioner, garden lime and maybe even a little sand, to raise the ph and loosen it up a bit.

Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesJune 22, 2010
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cucumbers on ice.
Freezing Cucumbers
🎉
🎄