CagesGuinea Pigs

Best Cage Materials for Guinea Pigs

I have seen pictures of guinea pig cages without shavings, but using what appeared to be rugs or mats. Is this good for the piggies to use with litter boxes? My piggies don't seem to be too good at using the litter box. Any suggestions?

By BAM55 from New Windsor, NY

Hello,

Your babies feet will get injured if left to walk on a wire floor...Please use a product called Care Fresh in their cage. DO NOT use anything that contains an odor ie: pine or any other as it causes an infection in their breathing pattern. I have worked for a Veterinarian for many years and this is what my Doctor has suggested.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that they like to hide, so please put a box in their cage that they can hide in... very cute! Good luck.

When I had mine I would shred magazine pages into little pieces, you can get really good at it and the piggies love to hear it and they dance and play when you do it. It keep them foraging and playing in the paper and they love it. Don't use newspaper, it gets on their feet. I like to put little inexpensive squares of linoleum down for them to walk on or just a tray or whatever. I used to keep mine in a wire kennel for a dog, a large kennel. It was great, the tray would pull out and then I would put the paper in and it would have all that space to run around.

I love the piggies, they are so talkative and react to everything! I never knew they were smart enough to go into a litter box...how strange. Lots of love, robyn