Training a Lilac Bush

I have a three-year old lilac bush that is growing in the wrong direction since I accidentally planted it at a slight angle. Can I use wire to retrain the branches to stand up straight? They'll grow into the fence if I let them continue in the direction they're currently pointed. Thanks!

Stephanie from Anchorage, Alaska

Answers

I took fishing line and tied mine in the direction I wanted it to go- as in tied it to stakes in the direction I wanted - (instead of the way it wanted to go) and it is working. I also used this same idea on climbing rose bushes for the wooden fence out front,it got them"headed" towards the fence which is where I want them to go instead of heading out into the yard. Hope this tip helps.

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsMay 16, 2007
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎄