Use Painters Tape For Straight Cuts

Today I was cutting some strips of fabric with my rotary cutter and a ruler. My ruler kept slipping, causing my cutting line to go crooked. This has happened to me so many times. It drives me nuts! Then a light bulb went off in my brain. My husband uses painters tape for a zillion things, so why not try taping each end of the ruler so it will stay in place while I am cutting. It worked! Why hadn't I thought of this before?

I was able to re-use the tape for several cuts. It was still sticky even then. I was using a 2 inch metal ruler, but I'm sure it would work on plastic as well. I used the blue painters tape (2 inch wide) and taped some onto the ruler, leaving about 2 inches free to tape to my cutting board. I hope other sewers and quilters will find this tip a great help.

By Judy in AL

What a wonderful idea. I am just learning to quilt and get quite frustrated when I make a cut piece off and not usable. I am going to go to Wal-mart and purchase some of this. Thanks a million for sharing.

Another way is to put those round felt pieces that are used on chair legs to keep from scratching the floor. Stick one on each end about two to three inches from the end. Works great!

I use Medical tape by 3M..YOu put it on the back of your cutting tool/ruler etc. Its clear, has a textured surface for grip and is easily attached to rulers and templates of all sizes and types. It will stop your ruler from sliding around. Also, if you are cutting lengths longer than your hand and you find your ruler shifting it is because you must apply even downward pressure. Stop and move the hand that is holding the ruler up.

A lot of us quilters just stick a strip of sand paper on the bottom of the ruler. That keeps it in place.

good idea! I used the small plasticy rubbery dots used for projets that you don't banging (like my wooden garbage can lid into the wall), you can find them in the same aisle you find those little felt green dots.

There is an item that you buy where you bought your templates & rulers. It's called 'ClearGrip' by Sew Easy(TM) - 12.5" X 1yd. It comes on a role & is clear, removable & reusable. It was only AUD$10, so probabaly around USD$8.00.

You just cut it to the size of your ruler or template & it will just cling without any glue, etc. as it 'clings' like 'static', so you can easily remove it any time you want.

It certainly makes cutting easier & no having to push down hard, to stop things slipping.

Have fun quilting.

Great post. We all have our ways of dealing with "non problems". I discovered quite by accident at least 40 years ago that my tailor's chalk wasn't washable. Ever since then I have been using soap scraps to mark all my work. I have green and white and pink. I also went online to Old Vermont Country Store and bought some Lifebuoy which is orange in color. And we all know soap is washable.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingNovember 5, 2007
Duct Tape
Making Duct Tape Clothes
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Broken Tape Measure
Uses for a Broken Tape Measure
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops