How Do I Get Rid of Slugs?

Does anyone have a good way to get rid of slugs? I've tried beer, yeast, and all kinds of store bought products. Someone said Sluggo works, but I haven't seen it in any store I've been in. Any suggestions would be welcome.

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

They will not cross copper; so if you have garden beds that you can edge with copper tape, that stops them. If you cannot do that (as a more permanent solution); you can put down diatomaceous earth where you don't want them. It is made of microscopic sea organisms that are "sharp" to slugs, and they won't go on it. But you will have to replace it every time it rains.

I have heard that crushed egg shells will do similarly, but I don't know.

If you put salt on them they roll up and die.

I use Sluggo, but it is expensive. It is more organic than some of the slug killers, though. I also try to clean out all the dead leaves from around plants, as they love to hide there.

Put salt down around your beds, the salt will kill slugs.

Was loaded with them. Cut pieces about 8 inches long of pvc pipe and put squirt of deadline in each end. Laid them through the garden. The deadline does not wash away and pets are unable to eat the poison. Sluggo is attractive to many birds and other animals, Please do not kill the birds and possibly pets. With the deadline slugs will eat and slime away. Another suggestion, if you can, geese make wonderful slug and snail exterminators. Guinea hens would probably be good as well. Guinea hens are wonderful for tick elimination. I understand they eliminate all the uglys.

For many, many years I have heard that coffee grounds work. They don't like the feel.

Slugs hate wood ash. If you have a wood stove or fireplace keep the ashes. Sprinkle the ashes around your plants, being sure to resprinkle if you water or it rains. The slugs hate the feel of the ash and won't cross over it.

They don't like prickly, sharp surfaces so the broken eggshells is a good idea or any broken bits and pieces (like broken sea shells) placed around the plants they seem to favor. The eggshells will eventually decompose and help fertilize the soil.

I'm surprised the beer hasn't worked for you. I heard the best method is to put the beer in a pan and set it into the ground. If they don't overdose, they will probably drown. You do have to refresh it every few days.

I have heard that the copper works as well. I guess they get some sort of shock when they cross it ... kind of like a little electric fence. But copper is pretty expensive right now.

You can also lay a board down in the garden and they will go under it during the day. When you lift it up during the day, they will be hiding underneath and you can exterminate them by your method of choice (like sprinkling salt on them).

I have also heard that they have an aversion to caffeine and that putting coffee grounds around your plants will not only deter them because of the prickly service but the caffeine will also keep them back. The grounds will also decompose and add nutrients to the soil.

Good luck!

Corn meal will get rid of them after they eat it will expand in them .

I've been using Sluggo now for 3 years. I like it because I have a Koi pond and it is non-toxic to my fish (and any animals). It works very well. I apply about twice - once in early spring then around mid summer. So far so good.

Slug on a Leaf
Getting Rid of Slugs
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 11, 2011
Slug eating a leaf.
Keeping Slugs Out of Your Garden
A small snail next to a dime.
Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House
Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
Keeping Slugs Off Hostas
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
🎉
🎄