Keeping Slugs Off Hostas

Category Pest Control
Slugs are a common pest to Hostas and can munch large holes in their leaves. This guide is about keeping slugs off hostas.

To protect your hostas, especially those growing in pots, cover the soil with used coffee grounds. Not a slug in sight!

By Ruth from Cardiff, UK

My hostas are extremely huge. Every spring I attempt to keep the slugs, etc. from getting to them, but have not had any luck. I have tried the beer route, (the dogs loved it), the eggshells, the sharp edges route, and pesticides. I have tried everything. I was wondering if the slugs possibly are climbing on to the leaves that hang down to the ground. If that's the case then are there any other solutions for that?

By BJP

Answers

Go to a home and garden center and buy the slug bait. It comes in a bag and works wonders. I use it once maybe twice in a season and I have a large garden with many beds. It takes care of them in the flower beds and the vegetable beds. Safe to use in both places and I hate chemicals!

A very safe way and inexpensive is to buy the cheapest beer and pour into an empty tuna or cat food can, set next to your Hostas and let those slugs and snails drink to their hearts content! They will die happy and all you do is throw the can in the trash when it is full.

Anonymous

I found out that slugs hate horse manure !I have used heavy amounts of this the last two years and noooo slugs!

Anonymous

Slugs hate to crawl across sharp soil so I spread a circle of sand around each hosta. It feels like crawling over broken glass.

Anonymous

Yes, get a large plant pot saucer. Place a house brick in the centre. Stand the hosta in its flowerpot on the brick and fill the saucer with water. Slugs and snails can't get across the water.

I have a chemical-free hosta garden conducive to toads. Toads eat the slugs & mosqitos. No chemicals needed. But keep the cats & dogs away from toads as they will make pets sick.

Slug and snail bait is extremely dangerous for pets. For whatever reason- many dogs love it and if they eat it-it's deadly.

Crushed egg shells, baby powder, works well too don't forget companion plants