Keeping Turkey from Drying Out When Reheating

By LEONA LABINE 46 398

I am making a large New Year's dinner and am making as much as I can ahead of time. I cooked the turkey today and put the breast meat unsliced in the freezer. What I would like to know is the best way to reheat it on New Year's day without it being dried out.

Showing: Answers Sort

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

I add a little water to my leftover turkey and seal it well before warming up. Or you might try heating it up in canned chicken broth or adding a bouillon cube to the water, but I didn't need either and the turkey flavor was still tasty.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My dad always reheats his turkey in chicken broth in the oven, seal the pan. It comes out great. And he got this from chefs that worked in nationally renown restaurants, where he also worked. So it is sound advice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I've heard that the chef's trick is to wrap it in lettuce leaves to reheat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Gravy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi Putnam 2 Flag

Top it with some gravy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carol 4 81 Flag

I have sliced my turkey and put some of the pan juices in with it. I didn't freeze it though.

But I'll bet if you don't have any pan drippings left, you could put some chicken stock in the pan with it and warm it in the oven it would be nice and moist!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dianne 1 4 Flag

as always when reheating meat, I get a BIG POT, fill over 1/2 way with water and place a wire rack to hold the meat across the top of the rack. Then I place either a large lid that will cover the meat or foil over the meat and around the sides. This allows the steam to go up thru the meat and keeps the meat moist while heating. This is especially good for steaks, pork chops and RIBS, hot dogs, roast, etc....

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If heating in an open pan, put a pan of boiling water below it. This will help.

Another way: Use a (closed) cooking bag and put a quartered apple and/or citrus fruit in with the turkey.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Place unsliced in a pan with panjuices or gravy. Cover with foil tightly, when heated, slice and cover until served.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatDecember 21, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Reheating Pancakes
Reheating Pancakes
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:29:02 PM on 10.0.1.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings