Buy Family Members Different Socks

When my children were home we could never match socks for each person. So I decided for my husband and son that one person got the solid white crews/tube sock and the other person got socks with stripes. With the girls, one would get bobby socks and the other would get crews, or one would get low cut footies and the other got ankle cut. Then the style of socks determined who owned each sock. This made laundry folding day much easier.

By Kimberly from Lakeland, FL

Hmm... you'll never get any of the boys in our family to wear white socks. We buy packs of 5/6/7 pairs, so the two older boys and myself end up with the same socks. However, one has smaller feet. I stitch a knot of coloured thread near the top (inside) of each sock - we all have different colours - that way no one can claim the other has knicked anothers socks. O, the stitching takes about ten minutes or so, but it means when the choice in the bargain bin is limited to black, black and black, we can still buy them without risking a fight over the laundry basket!

Buy everyone the same socks over two pairs. Then you will always have a match even though one is broken.

When I was a kid we just had a big container with a hinged lid. It was called the 'sock box' Everybody's socks went in. The only time I ever heard anyone complain was my Dad. We would use his work-socks (the fuzzy ones) for gloves when our mittens got wet. Lol.

The sock box was in the hall near all the bedrooms. They called it a hassock back then and you could sit on it well you put your socks on. It was easier then trying to figure out whose, is whose. Just put them together and throw them in the box. Hope this helps too.

We took acrylic paint and put a painted dot on the toe of each sock. Each child picked out their color. Works great! Lasts longer than permanent marker.

A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Organizing ClothingMarch 25, 2009
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
Making a Sock Quilt
Partially knit sock over a woman's foot with needles in place.
Knitting Socks
Uses for Unmatched Socks, Small Pile of Unmatched Socks
Uses for Unmatched Socks