Reusing Plastic Potato Chip Canisters

What are some ways to reuse the plastic potato chip canisters?

By DCW816 from Hampton,TN

Best Answer

Our lamp broke, we still needed the light, my little brother, he was 14 at the time, went on to be electrical engineer, took a pringles can, had me decorate the outside of it, then used it to put the lamp guts inside of fit the top part into the lid put cord thru bottom part of side of can and we had a lamp again. Maybe not the best of ideas, lol, but what came to me when you asked. I personally liked the artist brush idea. I keep coffee cans, cover them with pretty stuff and use them for my pens, pencils, scissors, markers, etc.

I use mine to water my plants. being from Louisiana and not having any rain in the past month, I fill the canisters with water and lay them down in my hanging baskets (lay then since they are less noticeable). The water usually lasts 2 days. We also use them on the boat to store keys, etc. Hope this helps!

I've stored my art brushes in them and poked holes in the lid for the handles to go through from the inner part of lid to keep the bristles from touching the bottom of the canister and getting out of shape while transporting.

They're good for storing crochet hooks and other sewing notions.

Emergency Survival Kits

Use them to make a small "survival" kit to keep under your car's seat or keep in your desk at work or in your child's locker at school.

Fill with these items:

- space blanket

- small emergency rain poncho

- an emergency food bar

- 1 candle & a book of matches or a lighter

- TINY penlight (key chain sized)

- tiny AM radio from $1 store (with batteries)

- pocket knife

- tiny pad of paper & small pencil or pen

Pack these carefully & all these items should fit into the regular size tube & can help save your life. I would also stash 2 or 3 bottle of water for an emergency too... We made these kits up for our kids when they were in school in case of emergency during school hours. We also added a candy bar & a photo of the family to help comfort them.

Store dog or cat treats, knitting & crochet needles. Store bulk foots like seeds & nuts. Take camping with plastic silverware inside.

I keep a spare set of stainless silverware in one for use when traveling.

Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 26, 2009
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
Film Canister
Uses for Film Canisters
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
Cookies on white.
Potato Chip Cookies