Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Keeping Squirrels from Eating Pecans

How do I get rid of pesky squirrels, other than killing them, so I can eat some of my pecans?

By Norm from Houston

By Deanj06/20/2010

Buy a have a hart trap and when you trap a squirrel move him about 10 miles away and release him. Eventually, you will have trapped all the squirrels. If they return, and they may, trap them again.

One poster said set up a food and water station for them as if they would leave your pecans alone. Reminds me of the story of a woman who had a problem with deer eating her shrubs. She set out food for the deer away from her shrubs. The deer came and ate the food she put out for them, then walked up to her shrubs and had them for desert.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Keeping Squirrels from Eating Pecans

By Ellen Brown ***

***

Question:

How can I keep the squirrels from eating every single pecan from my trees?

CC from Texas

Answer:

CC,

As with your inquiry on how to prevent birds from stealing your figs, the best and most effective solution, at least in the short term, might be to set up some food and water stations for the squirrels during a period when your pecans are maturing. Peanuts and black-oil sunflower seeds can be bought inexpensively in bulk from a feed store and offered as a temporary distraction. It isn't legal to shoot squirrels in Texas for the purpose of removing them from the garden. Live trapping and relocation might work temporarily, but just like extermination, it won't solve the problem long term. Each squirrel occupies a specific niche in the food chain. When one animal is removed, an opening is created and more resources are temporarily available to the rest of the population. Sooner or later (usually sooner) another squirrel will simply come in and stake a new claim on the newly available resources.

In the same way netting will keep birds out of your fig tree, it should work on keeping squirrels out of your pecan tree. You might also consider wrapping your tree's trunk with a metal baffle and trimming any branches growing near neighboring trees, power lines or buildings, to make it harder for squirrels to access your tree. If you have a dog, give him some water and shelter and stake him near your tree during the day.

Good Luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

RE: Keeping Squirrels from Eating Pecans

I've been feeding the squirrels and chipmunks for years and never had a problem. I can't imagine a law that allows murdering animals on your property. That's disgusting. For the pecan problem:

gardeners.com (07/05/2006)

By Vic