Make A Cool Desk Blotter

I have a new "antique" desk with leather inlay on the top. However, I didn't want to scratch it. I also didn't wish to cover it with a traditional or plain desk blotter.

I had the glass shop cut a piece of Plexiglas for me, about 18' X 14". You can do whatever size you wish. You can also get the Plexiglas in colors, but I used clear. It's just a few dollars.

I bought some white velour self-stick 1" pads and put one in each corner of the Plexiglas. Voila! An instant desk blotter that lets me put my iBook, hot mugs of coffee, etc, on my desk without marring it. It also provides a protected writing or work/crafting surface.

I can display photos underneath and they are protected. I have also placed a sheet of fabric in a pattern I liked under the clear blotter. So you can change the look of your blotter with the mood or seasons. You can also use a dry-erase marker to write yourself reminders on the blotter if you like.

It cleans easily with window cleaner or simply vinegar water. I try not to get the velour pads wet, but they can be easily and cheaply replaced for pennies.

By Missy

We just moved to a house with tile everywhere in the kitchen-even on the desk. I've been keeping a magazine handy for when I need to write, but that gives a cluttered look. THANKS for this neat idea!! Also we have a stainless refrigerator so I can't put any of my pictures back up, so this is a wonderful alternative.

Organizing OfficeSeptember 30, 2005
Leather Topped Desk
Removing Paper Stuck to a Leather Topped Desk
Drawer Organizer
Desk Drawer Organizer Ideas
Desk Calendar
Making A Desk Calendar
A messy computer desk.
Organizing Your Computer Desk
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 10, 2016 at 9:59:22 AM on in 962 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.