Clothing Patterns for a Nursing Mother

I am about to be a first time grandma and my daughter will be breastfeeding. I want to make her something pretty and nursing friendly to wear for after she gets home from the hospital. Does any one know of an inexpensive pattern I could use or where I would find one?

Janet from Cleveland, Ohio

A cheap way to make clothing more nusring friendly is to wear a white tshirt with cuts so that you can access the bra and breast. Then wear your regular wardrobe on top. This was an easy way for me to not buy nursing-specific clothes and save a little money. There are patterns available if you would like to sew her something at Elizabeth Lee Designs, too, and they are fairly cheap.

Check the material out before you make the first cut. I too am a nursing mom and am trying to find lighter tops for a trip we're going to be taking in July. Everything I try on though that is lighter weight shows the nursing pads. Patterned cloths seem to do better.

Hope this helps

My one and only "nursing dress" made life so much simpler back then! The top of the dress was sort of gathered across the bustline - a bit like a curtain bunches together , but there was a slit cut and the edges finished on each side that couldn't be seen because of the fullness of it! I always used nursing bras that I could easily open with one hand. How easy it was to nurse the baby and not be exposed at all! I believe this general idea would work just as well on a blouse or top.

Kwik Sew Patterns also has a nursing gown pattern. It is made for knits. I think it could be altered to be used as a dress or knit top as well. I am always changing patterns for my own use. They are going on sale at most places soon.

Nursing moms also love cute nursing tank tops and they are pretty cheap too! There is a great article about breastfeeding tops here:

http://www.babies-blog.com/why-a-nu ... is-a-must-have-for-every-baby-momma/

Crafts ClothingMay 20, 2007
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
🎄