Fruit Slice Placemats
A fun and quick craft you can vary just by changing the fabrics.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- 1/4 yd of each fabric
- fleece for backing
- sewing machine
- Either enlarge my pattern or draw a wedge shape. By changing the fabrics, you can have a watermelon, an orange, lemon, apple, or whatever fruit you like.
- For the watermelon, cut enough strips of various widths of several red fabrics, narrower at one end than the other to cover the pattern. Sew them together putting one narrow end together with a wide end until you have enough to cover the pattern.
- Cut out the base of your placemat.
- Measure from one point around the bottom and up to the opposite point, add 2 inches.
- Cut this measurement from a white and a green for your outer rind and inner rind on the bias of a piece of fabric.
- Sew your inner rind fabric on, being sure not to stretch the bias. Iron flat.
- Repeat with outer rind, press flat.
- Lay right side to right side with your fleece, pin and cut out.
- Sew a quarter inch seam leaving a 5 inch opening to turn your fruit.
- Turn and sew the opening shut by hand.
- For the watermelon, sew "seeds" with embroidery floss.
- For the orange slice, divide the bottom edge into segments and draw a line from the center of the top to those segment marks. Sew with a zigzag just to the white fabric.
- Leave the rinds unsewn so they puff up a bit.
By Ann from Loup City, NE
June 9, 20100 found this helpful
Cute idea! I need some washable place mats for my family, I think I will cut out the shapes with fabric and use the lamination sheets for iron-on washable place mats. Great idea, thanks!
June 10, 20100 found this helpful
Very cute idea & easy too.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 4, 2016 at 12:25:11 AM on 10.0.2.22 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us