Crafts Made With Placemats

Here is a great craft idea that makes great gifts! I purchased 2 gorgeous place mats at Goodwill (2 for 99 cents) in a purple toile pattern. I placed them together and sewed around leaving an opening at the top and turned right side out. I then sewed on purchased bamboo handles (which I found on a purse I got for 50 cents at a thrift shop, I just removed the bag).

Voila! A really cool purse! You can use dollar store place mats. I am always on the lookout at Goodwill, etc for purses with these handles, a lot cheaper than buying them new. You can embellish these however you want. I have put a ribbon "rose" on one. I left this one as is because I didn't want to clash with the print.

By Carol from Landisville, PA

5 More Solutions

This is a bag made from placemats that I purchased at a garage sale. To begin, decide which placemat will be the front and embroider a design of your choice on the front. Place the 2 place mats wrong sides together and sew them on one long side and 2 short sides.

Placemat bag.

Placemats sewn together would be a great complimentary "lap robe" for someone in a wheelchair. They could sew their own or be involved in choosing the color or design that would match their clothing, as an accessory to other items they wear!

I found the placemats on sale for .50 a piece at my local Dollar General (with tax it was $4.24) and sewed them together with fishing line that I had on hand. You will want to use a needle that has a bigger eye to thread the fishing line through.

Placemats sewn together for hallway rug.

This is a page about how to make placemat throw pillows. Placements are a great size for making a throw pillow. Simply pair them with a coordinating fabric, sew a few simple seams, and stuff them to create some nice throw pillows.

Throw pillows made from placemats.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Some placemats can be used as a cover for casserole dishes. This is a page about using placemats to make casserole dish covers.

Placemat casserole dish cover.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousDecember 13, 2012
🍂
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crafts-Made-With-Placemats.html