How to Make Placemat Throw Pillows
Placements are a great size for making a throw pillow. Simply pair them with a coordinating fabric, sew a few simple seams, and stuff them to create some nice throw pillows. This is a guide about how to make placemat throw pillows
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
You can easily make beautiful throw pillows using decorative place mats and backing them with a coordinating fabric.
Approximate Time: less than an hour
- decorative place mat
- sewing machine
- strait pins
- coordinating fabric larger than place mat
- marking pen
- poly fill, 16 to 20 ounce size
- sewing needle
- Purchase decorative place mat(s) and fabric that will coordinate that is at least 1 inch larger all around than your place mat. If place mat measures 12 x 15 make sure your fabric that is 14 x 17 or larger. You will also need a color thread that will match the fabric.
- If you need to cut your fabric, lay your place mat on top of the fabric and mark with fabric marking pen about 1 inch out from the edge of the place mat all around, cut out.
- Baste all around the coordinating fabric, but do each edge separately leaving long tails.
- Pin corners of fabric and place mat wrong sides out.
- Pull basting thread so that fullness of fabric is even with place mat, pin doing each edge individually.
- Mark an opening for turning inside out. Sew up edges making sure you leave your opening for turning the pillow inside out, it is best if you back stitch each edge of the opening so as not to pull the stitching when turning inside out.
- Remove pins, turn inside out making sure corners are pushed out, stuff with poly fill to your satisfaction. Pin the opening closed making sure you turn the raw edges in, hand sew closed.
By Viki from Abbeville, AL
November 5, 20100 found this helpful
Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for sharing your idea.