Recovering Throw Pillows

Category Home Decor
Recovering your dated or stained throw pillows not only saves money, but is also a great way to change the color of your room's accessories. This is a guide about recovering throw pillows.

Over the years, I've found that replacing throw pillows every time I changed decor colors was becoming ridiculously expensive. So, I came up with an easy and cheap way to transform old pillows into something new and fresh! These instructions are for a square (15 x 15 inch) pillow.

Directions:

1. Purchase or use two (2) gently used large cloth napkins, with or without print. (Pictured napkins measure 18x18 inches.)
  2. Before sewing, I embroidered a design on one of the napkins. You can embroider, do an iron-on or simply used a patterned napkin.
  3. Place right sides together and sew around three (3) sides, leaving top side open. This is where you'll insert pillow.
  4. Ad

5. On the open end of case, hot glue 4-5 round Velcro tabs to close after pillow is inserted. (A zipper can always be added as well.)
  6. Bows or ribbons can be hot-glued as desired.
  7. Insert your pillow, fasten the top closed, and you have a "new" pillow to brighten up a bed or sofa!
  8. By April from Albany, GA

I am trying to take some ugly old throw pillows and redo them. I cannot sew very well, does anyone have any ideas how I can make some cool pillows out of these old ones?

By Ann

Answers

Best Answer

I have had success using Stitch Witchery, you can find it at wal-mart in the sewing notions section or any craft store. All you need is an iron no sewing required.

Best Answer

I have seen pictures of people that have taken a square of fabric large enough to cover the entire pillow with enough extra to tie the fabric to hold it in place. I have also seen on some decorating shows when people are in a hurry they wrap the pillow in fabric and then use safety pins to hold it shut on the back side.

Best Answer

I found this tip on Thriftyfun a long time ago and I've been using it ever since! if you have some old but nice square headscarves, you could possibly get these from a thriftshop, just place your cushion in the center with the square of material underneath and knot it up at the back! I've got a zillion of these squares and I periodically change my decor and color scheme of the living room by just changing the colors of the cushions!

Best Answer

You can wrap your pillow in a large piece of fabric and tie it up like a present with a pretty ribbon. Or cut 2 squares of fabric approx. 8" wider than pillow, making a hem of 4''all around pillow. Mark or pin a line the size of the pillow and cut 1/2'' fringe up to this line on all sides. With right side of fabric showing, tie each strip of fringe of top layer to corresponding strip on bottom layer and knot together. When 3 sides are completed, insert pillow and finish tying last side and you have a new covered pillow. Can decorate with bow, fancy yarn or buttons. Search for "No Sew Pillow" on net.

I would like to recover old worn toss pillows. I want to put an edging on the pillows and make a different one for the bed. How does one do it?

By Catharine

Answers

Cut two pieces of fabric approximately one inch larger than the pillow. Put fabric fronts facing together and sew one half inch from edge around three sides of the pillow cover. Turn right side out and either tuck in both sides and hand sew the fourth edge across after slipping in the pillow or add a zipper before sewing other three sides and inserting the pillow. If you are going to put an edge around the pillow like lace, place evenly between the two fabric pieces and pin in place to sew. If the edging you desire is a cord type, some sewing machines have a special attachment that can be bought.