How to Make Throw Pillows

Category Decorations
Making your own throw pillows can save you money and allow your creativity and sense of design to take over. This is a guide about making throw pillows.

I wanted to make new throw pillows to decorate my granddaughter's bedrooms. Fiberfill is so expensive, so I started buying pillows, and taking them apart (I see that's now a tip on this site!). That's when it hit me! Why was I going through all this trouble?

Now I take a bed pillow, fold it in half, and pin the ends together. Then I use my hands to separate the fill at the fold. Then I use 8 safety pins to make a channel down the center of fold, 4 to a side, leaving an inch or so between them. Then I unpin the ends, and sew 2 seams down the center channel, next to pins. Cut between the seams, and you have 2 pillows! Now you make your pillow covers to fit them! Have fun!

By Crafty Nanny from Hartwick, NY

I had 2 long body pillows my son didn't use. I made gorgeous throw pillows for my couch using 2 curtain panels.

Measure two 20 inch squares (or whatever you like) per pillow. Put patterned sides (to be the outside of pillow) together and pin. Sew all sides, leaving about 6 inches open to fill. Remove all stuffing from body pillow, pulling it apart and fluffing it. Fill both new pillows to your preference, then stitch opening.

By babysobluexx from Leominster, MA

I wanted to give my niece throw pillows for Christmas. Making them myself seemed to be out of my budget, even when I found the pillow forms at 50% off. Buy bed pillows when they go on sale. I found them for four dollars on black Friday. One bed pillow will make 2 to 3 throw pillows.

By Tubby from Pompano Beach, FL

I made this heart shaped pillow out of old pillow shams. They were already in the quilted pattern, so I just cut 2 hearts from a pattern and sewed matching buttons on the back. The words were iron on stencils that I used a pen to make permanent. I hand sewed the strips of fabric using big stitches and finished it by stuffing slightly and buttons on the corners.

After the embellishments were done, I machine straight stitched around the outside (I did not want the seam on the inside, I wanted it to show), leaving approx. 1/4 inch seam allowance. And I then hand stitched the seam allowance closed with the same big stitches.

By Jenn T from Lenox, MA

Here are some cushion covers I made from 3 tea towels - ideal for our camper van.

A quick present to make is a "Handle Pillow" You can use whatever fabric you want, or recycle a favorite shirt or dress. Cut 2 pieces 6x 8 inches and another piece of fabric 3 x 6 inches, this will be the handle.

Here's a really quick and easy pillow that I did with the girls using their choice of a sewing machine or hand stitching with a needle and thread using all straight stitching. Eight year olds were able to do this with remarkable ease and very good results.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Save old pantyhose to use as stuffing when you make dolls or throw pillows.

To make inexpensive throw pillows for a couch or bed, buy cloth dinner napkins and sew 2 of them right sides together leaving an opening, flip inside out and stuff as you would a pillow, then slip stitch shut.

This is a guide about how to make placemat throw pillows. Placements are a great size for making a throw pillow. Simply pair them with a coordinating fabric, sew a few simple seams, and stuff them to create some nice throw pillows.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Buy fabric napkins on sale. You can usually find some in Bed Bath & Beyond for 99 cents to a dollar, sew them to make pillows. Reuse old pillows around the house for the stuffing.

I will be remodeling my home from top to bottom in the spring. In preparation, I'm going through a lot of stuff that has been packed away for years. I ran across a lot of material marked 'for throw pillows'. Something I had planned to do, but never got around to it.

I have about 4 yards of a nice paisley velvet. I would like to start with that. Before searching the Internet for instructions and answers, I wanted to ask you what you thought.

I don't have a machine. All the stitching would have to be done by hand. I'm thinking I can handle a straight stitch?

I seem to remember seeing foam forms that could be covered rather than stuffing the pillow with poly. Has anyone had any experience with these forms? Are they comfortable when made into a pillow. Oh, I won't be putting zippers in these pillows and I won't be putting cord on the edges.

I want the pillows to look good, but I don't have the patience to do a lot of tedious work as I did years ago. If you know about making throw pillows, I will appreciate any tips you have to offer.

If you think I'm undertaking too much, you can tell me that, too!

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

I have made many throw pillows. Here is how:

Step 1
Cut the fabric so you have about 1/2 inch seam allowance.

Step 2
Turn the fabric so the right sides are together.

Step 3
Sew the three sides.

Step 4
Turn the fabric so the right sides are now facing out.

Step 5
Put in a pillow form, or stuff the pillow.

Step 6
Sew the remaining side closed.

I am a novice sewing person and would like to know if there is a pattern or directions from anyone here on how to make a handsewn pillow cover. I recently received a yard of different upholstrey samples and I would like to make slipcovers for pillows I already have (size is 24x24 and 22x22). I don't think I would add a zipper, but maybe an easier attempt would be with a Velcro closure? I don't have a sewing machine yet, but I am saving for one. Thank you for your time!

Answers

It's easy to make a slipcover for your pillow

Step 1
Fold your material in half, right sides together.

Step 2
Put Your pillow against it for measurement

Step 3
Cut off any excess, leaving about a 1/4 Inch seam allowance

Step 4
Hand sew the two sides

Step 5
Turn the slipcover so the right sides are facing out

Step 6
Put the pillow in

Step 7
Sew up the top.