I created this mini man from some recycled soup and coffee cans, soda tabs, funnel, bolts, screws, candy tins for feet, coat hangers, swivel, spray paint and tin snips. I used and awl and hammer to make the holes I needed. Tin snips were used to cut out hands and heart. I hang him in my garden.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here's a cute Tin Man made from recycled food cans. First spray paint all cans and paint nose and mouth and pop tops black.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
By Penny L.
Try your local hardware store.
If you still cannot find a metal funnel, maybe you can use metallic spray paint. I don't know how you'd need to treat the plastic, but I suspect there is a way to do it.
Cute project, by the way!
I found mine at an antique shop.
I would look on Ebay, I have found all kinds of vintage kitchen stuff on there.
I would just buy the plastic ones and spray paint them silver. :)
My sister-in-law received, as a gift from one of her students, a Tin Man Birdfeeder made of used Tin cans. I would like to have instructions of how to make some.
Go here for MANY, MANY bird feeders including a tin can one.
Here is a pic I found!! I want one too!
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE PATTERN OR INSTUCTION FOR MAKING THE TIN MAN BIRD FEEDER. THANK YOU
I have a friend who makes them, if you could send me your address I will pass it on to her.
I too would love the info on making one of these !!!
I have seen the tinmen for sale in the window here.
Make Our Tin Man!
- Awl or Ice Pick
- Heavy Wire or Clothes Hanger
- Wire Cutters
- 2 - 1" Wood Screws
- 1 - 1/2" Metal Screw with Nut
- 2 - 1" Moveable Eyes
- 32 oz. Coffee Can
- 13 oz. Coffee Can
- 20 oz. Fruit Pie Filling Can
- 4 - 15 3/4 oz. Vegetable Cans
- 2 - Sardine Cans
- 4 Soft Drink Cans
- Krylon® Silver Spray Paint
- Acrylic Paint - Black, Red
- 6" Funnel
1. Open tops of each can and remove contents. Drain cola cans. Spray all cans and funnel with silver paint. Spray funnel inside and out. Let dry completely.
2. With an awl or ice pick, punch holes in vegetable cans, each side, 1/2" from top and bottom. Punch holes in the cola cans, each side, 3 1/2" from the bottom. Turn vegetable cans upside down over the cola cans until the first set of holes on the vegetable can meet the holes on the cola can. Run a 3 3/4" piece of wire through both cans; bend ends of wire. You have just made the arms and legs.
3. Turn sardine cans with open side down (feet). Place each leg combo on the backside of a sardine can. Run wood screw from open side of sardine can through bottom of cola can to attach feet to leg.
4. Turn the 32 oz. coffee can (body) upside down and punch a hole in the center bottom. Punch holes on each side, top and bottom, 1/2" from edge. Punch holes in the fruit can (neck) 2 1/2" from the bottom on each side, and one hole in the center of the bottom. Set neck right side up on the body. Bolt together using a screw and nut.
5. Punch holes in the 13 oz. coffee can (head) in the center bottom and on each side 1 1/2" from the open end. Cut a 20" piece of wire, bend one end. Run up through can, leaving bent end inside can. Drop funnel (hat) upside down over wire and let slide down to rest on top of the head. Curl the top of the wire; this will prevent the wire from coming out and will also be your tin man's hanger. Place the head down over the neck until the holes meet. Run a 4 1/2" piece of wire through the holes; bend at both ends.
6. Place legs inside open end of body and attach a leg to each side of the body by running a 7" piece of wire through holes. Bend wires at the end. Arms are attached to the outside of the body with a 13" piece of wire.
7. Glue the eyes approximately 1 1/2" from the top of the head. Paint nose, mouth, and ears. Three 1" crcles (buttons) are painted on body. All are black. A red heart is painted on the left side of the chest.
I WAS WONDER HOW TO GET THE PATTERN TO MAKE TIN MAN BIRD FEEDER I MADE THE TINMAN TO HANG UP AND I WAS WONDERING IF I TURN IT UP AND CUT HOLES IN IT TO MAKE IT
just wondering where the bird feed goes
Thanks I just wish we could see the feet.
Where can I find the funnels for the tin man project? I cannot find the right size.
By GOOSEY from Columbia, SC
Where can I find moveable eyes for making a tin man?
I am looking for craft ideas to make a tin man.
Craft: Tin Man Mania
This was a Contest Winner! Very Original!
I am looking for instructions for making a tin man bird feeder. Does anyone have a pattern or instructions?
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
How do I make a Tin Man out of cans for a Wizard of Oz themed children's party?
I am looking for directions with pictures for making hanging OZ tin man out of cans.
I need instructions for a man made from tin cans like in the wizard of oz.