How to Make a Recycled Tin Man
Making a recycled tin man is a fun and easy project. Add corks, bottle caps, and other components to make a unique decoration for your home or garden.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a cute project using recycled materials. I actually made a few with some autistic friends that I do crafts with. It was fun and could be a good lesson for students about recycling too!
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 tin cans, small and larger, one flattened
- 32 bottle caps (I asked my local bar and they saved them for me!)
- 1 roll 20 gauge uncoated wire
- 14 corks (The same bar saved me the corks too!)
- 1 nail to make holes
- 1 liquid laundry detergent cap
- drill to make holes in cork
- 2 ft coated wire (I used clothesline wire bought at a hardware store by the foot.)
- Punch holes in all bottle caps with a nail and hammer on a soft surface (like a lawn!) and drill holes in all corks. Punch holes for a face in a tuna or cat food can with a nail and hammer and string metal wire through the holes to look like a face. Punch a hole in the top and through a plastic cap to thread wire through for a hat and make a loop to hook it up at the end.
- Punch holes in the main can "body" to string neck to body, one in center top and one at each corner. Attach arms and legs with wire. I actually tie the wire at the ends to hold them on. It's a heavier duty wire so it doesn't break too easily and mine was even coated (on some places like the top loop to hang.) See photo.
- Drill hole through corks and string on 2 or 3 bottle caps alternating with 1 cork and ending with a knotted wire to hold everything together. Arms use 3 corks each and legs use 4. See photo! Note: I chose to turn the 'hands' and 'feet' corks in a horizontal position to look like hands and feet.
- Follow same process for legs using 4 corks for each.
- There's your Recycled Man!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.