Using Placemats to Make Casserole Dish Covers

Some placemats can be used as a cover for casserole dishes. This is a guide about using placemats to make casserole dish covers.

You can make nice casserole dish covers from two placemats. These make nice Christmas gifts for friends or family. All you need is two matching fabric placemats, quilted, or unquilted. First you match up the placemats , then sew around three sides leaving one small side unsewn. You can then use Velcro to fasten or put a button hole on top placemat then sew button on bottom mat on the inside. Or you can do as I did and make two button holes on the top placemat, then match it up and put two on the bottom mat. Be sure to line then up. You can then take a serving spoon and stick it through the button holes on the top and bottom mat. Or use a wooden spoon for a decorative look. This is not my idea, but thought it makes a nice gift that is easy and inexpensive to make.

By Madeline from Jacksonville, AL

Top Comment

I went to Garden Ridge and found a bunch of cute placemats on Clearance after the holidays and had this idea in mind... I bought a few dozen of them and I have to say they are so easy to make. I plan on buying some of those foil pans and inserting them for "demonstration" when I give them as gifts. Paid about 20 cents per placemat and $1 for a bag of wooden spoons at the dollar store. Then I had ribbons, etc... Thanks so much again for a cute and inexpensive idea! Here's a picture of one of the ones I have already made...

This is an absolutely cute idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

I really like this idea. I may make one. Like you say, it's a cute gift.

this is very cool. and easy too I love it. thank you for sharing