Snacks for a Dog on a Low Sodium Diet

Our family dog has developed kidney disease. It's in the very early stages and was discovered when the vet did some blood tests prior to cleaning his teeth.This may be due to a prolonged bout of heartworm or the side effect of distemper. The heartworms were medically treated but as he was a rescue, there's no telling how long he had it. We were told there is nothing much we can do except for feed him KD Hill's Science Diet and keep him on a low sodium diet (no more fast food leftovers).

Today instead of his usual early morning pig ear snack, I rinsed a small can of tuna hoping to remove some sodium. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this topic? He loves his snacks and people food (I cook w/o salt so homemade protein is OK). He will not touch veggies, so no green "beans for a snack" ideas unless I can trick him into thinking it's protein! How do I remove salt from cans of tuna, sardines, and the like? Thanks.

By Holly from Dallas, TX

I have made the Peanut Butter Puppy Poppers from this website:

My dog loves them! If you make them with sodium free peanut butter they would have zero sodium. I have made them a few times and never put in the baking soda in them. I make them look like tiny peanut butter cookies rather than taking the time to roll them out and use cookie cutters. Or, if you don't have much time just sodium free peanut butter itself is good. If you want to get veggies into his diet you could always add shredded carrot to the recipe.

Most dogs love raw baby carrots. They contain no sodium or fat and are vet approved as doggy snacks. They are also relatively inexpensive and require no preparation!

Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesJanuary 22, 2010
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
A woman eating an apple.
Low Calorie Snacks
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks