Identifying and Removing Pests on a Horse

There is a horse that is put out to pasture in the field outside our house. He has a wonderful temperament, but this summer he is very unhappy, due to the flies. We are trying to sort that out, but I have noticed that when he swishes his tail I have seen these brown things that are glued to his bottom. They are close to his anus, but do not fly around like the ones pestering his eyes. I cannot get close enough to find out what they are or try to remove them. Does anyone know what they could be? I will try to get a photo, next time. Please help? Regards.

By Michele

How kind of you. Please tell the owner ASAP! this horse could have what are called bot flies. They are very common if you have horses, they must be removed immediately. I have worked for a large Veterinarian for many years, this horse needs help.

They could be bot fly larvae. They grow right under the skin. The old timers called them a warble. They could be ticks. In the case of gray or white horses they often have cancerous growths in this area as they get a bit older. I would not attempt to deal with any of these on my own.

Pets Large Animals HorsesAugust 11, 2010
Velveteen Blanket
Cleaning a Velveteen Horse Blanket
Horse Eating from Feed Bag
Saving Money on Horse Feed
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Rocking Horse
Recycled Rocking Horse Craft Ideas