Etiquette for Home Sales Parties

I have an etiquette question. If you are invited to a party where the host is selling things (you know like Tupperware, Lia Sophia, Pampered Chef) are you expected to bring something? Normally I would bring a bottle of wine or a snack with me to a party, but I am assuming that instead I should expect to buy something and the host will provide drinks and snacks.

Am I right?

By Veda from Boston

You are correct. If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt it is a "sellers' party/gathering you don't need to take anything and shouldn't e expected to either. Now if it's a party for some other reason, baby, birthday, bridal, bachelor- you should probably take something. Unless it's a surprise party for you. Then sit back and enjoy. :)

But back to the "sellers" party, go with an intention to be open minded. There may be something you are impressed with for yourself or for a friend. If so go ahead and buy it but don't feel obligated to buy something to help you friend out if it's not something you ever have a reason to purchase. The hard road of sales is just as important as the easy one.

Ditto with Suntydt!

Even if it's a baby, birthday, etc., there is no need to take food - only a gift if it's a shower. If it's a sales party like tupperware, jewelry, etc., you do not take anything - it's the hostess' responsibility to provide refreshments (and they're generally light). She is wanting to sell you something. As the previous poster wrote, do not feel obligated to buy if you're not interested. I've been to parties where I've bought and not bought. I've had parties that were great and parties that flopped - it's just the way the ball bounces.

No need to bring anything, but don't feel like you have to buy something either if there is nothing that appeals to you. These days are about being thrifty, not spending money on something you didn't want or need anyway. A good host knows this as well.

The others are right. No need to take a host/hostess gift to a sales party. Instead of bringing anything, you'll be asked to either buy something or host a like party yourself. As previously stated, though, don't feel obligated. If there's nothing that strongly appeals to you (especially if you can't realistically afford it,) and if hosting a like party wouldn't work for you, don't. I couldn't host a sales party if I wanted - I'm disabled and live in a small house with a hermit hubby and three large dogs.

Party Etiquette Tips and Tricks
Party Etiquette Tips and Tricks
Holidays and Parties Parties AdviceDecember 6, 2009
A table full of items for sale at a garage sale.
Finding Garage Sales
Garage Sales
Shopping at Garage Sales
Estate Sale
Shopping Estate Sales
A woman taking a photo of a vase to post it on eBay.
eBay vs. Garage Sales