Repair AdviceCars

Oil Dipstick Broke

Category Repair Advice

My oil dipstick broke off in the engine, snapped right off at the cheap plastic handle and what's left of it down in the tube is the other half of the plastic handle, wedged in tightly, about 1/2 to 3/4" down with nothing to grip it by, so I now can't even pull the stick out to check my oil. Anybody know of a way to get it out, short of sawing off the neck of the tube it's stuck in?

Laurie from PA

Try using needle pliers or vise grips.

get a magnetic rod or a rod that has a long hand on it that has a magnetic end to get tools off the floor when you drop them and cannot reach them. That might bring it within reach.

My son had to take his to the dealer to get it fished out. He got lucky and they were able to get it out pretty quickly.

If the plastic is showing down the tube just heat up a small pocket flat screw driver with a lighter until it is warm enough to set itself into the plastic and let sit until the plastic hardens on the screw driver and turn easy and it should the whole dipstick out. Doesn't cost you a cent. I have done it.

Try checking out this site, 5 ways to remove a broken dipstick...

http://rideagai  ick-in-your.html

Same thing just happened. It broke right at the top of the tube that goes down. I tried the shopvac by it's self at first, not enough suction. Then thought about it; and thought, I adapted my shopvac idea.

I took the lid off of a spray paint can, drilled a hole just big enough for the dipstick tube to slip into, and over towards the side of the lid.

I slipped the lid over the dipstick tube with the cup side facing up towards me. then i\I used the shopvac hose that fit nicely into the spray paint lid and turned the vac on. I let it run about 15 seconds, and there it was, the broken dipstick.