Warning: Push Pins and Toddlers

A friend just recently attended her nephew's 15 month old son's funeral. The 15 month swallowed a push pin that was lodged in its throat, the baby died on the way to the hospital. Please be careful with those push pins. Even though they are sharp on one end, babies will still put them in their mouths.

By Momshummingbird from Lexington, NC

OMG! I remember hearing about that on the news! Such a sad thing to happen! And so easy to happen too!

When my kids were little I wouldn't allow a push pin or thumb tack in the house. This was long before they came up with these neat little clips or with Velcro. But I took a bunch of wooden clothes pins and glued them to my bulletin board. Then when I wanted to keep something there I simply clipped it with the clothespin.

My sympathies go out to your friend.

This is so very sad--my prayers to your friend, too.

All my kids are grown with little ones of their own, and my daughter-in-law adds a few more things to the "be careful" list around babies and toddlers, with popcorn, hard candies, and hot dogs among them.

Don't know what to call it or where to buy it, but there's a little plastic gadget that parents can insert edibles ( and non-edibles) into that's shaped like the throat opening of the average baby/toddler--great for when in doubt about things like long cookies or small toys being safe for them to handle.

Thanks so much for your comments and sympathies, I will relay the messages to my friend for her family. I too have a grandchild that will in a few months be all around the house so it is a sure reminder to keep these sharp things and baby size anything away from them. Bless all of you

This is the second time this week that I heard of a baby swallowing a push pin. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Amen. These little ones are so tough in some ways, but so fragile in others. My sympathies are with your friend, and thanks for the warning.